HomePod Music Streams Don't Count Toward Apple Music and iTunes Device Limits

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Yesterday, reviews for the HomePod launched online and with them new details about Apple's smart speaker began emerging ahead of its release date on February 9. One new tidbit of information came from Rene Ritchie's review of the speaker on iMore, which confirmed that any music streamed via HomePod does not count toward an Apple Music subscription's device streaming limit. Additionally, HomePod does not count toward the 10 device limit placed on devices associated with an Apple ID.

[​IMG]

This means that subscribers with single memberships to Apple Music will be able to ask Siri to play a song on HomePod while listening to music on another iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Prior to HomePod, if single membership users streamed Apple Music on an iPhone and then began listening to music on a Mac, for example, the iPhone would disconnect from the music and serve up a warning about the new stream.

When users get their HomePods this weekend, it appears that they won't have to worry about the speaker taking up similar streaming limits on their Apple Music accounts. Apple Music family plans already support simultaneous streaming across multiple devices, but the HomePod feature should work the same for those users as well.
    Another small tidbit relates to how HomePod affects each user's music recommendations within the "For You" tab of Apple Music. According to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple, there's a toggle in the HomePod section of the Home app (where the speaker will be controlled on iOS devices), and turning it off allows users to prevent the HomePod's streams from impacting how Apple Music's algorithms recommend new music.

When using the feature, no music streamed via HomePod will count towards the subscriber's overall taste profile, but if users want HomePod streams to affect recommendations they can ignore the setting.
    This way, when users know a lot of people will be around the HomePod -- at a party, for example -- they can toggle the setting off. Then, if other people begin asking HomePod to play music that doesn't particularly align with the tastes of the main account, that Apple Music subscriber's New Music Mix and other song/artist recommendations won't be thrown off.

The same setting will also control the albums and playlists that appear on an Apple Music profile. In leaked screenshots posted by iGen in January, it was confirmed that turning off this one setting will prevent both music recommendations from being affected as well as "Listening To" history from being updated. It also synchronizes the playback status of podcasts on all devices connected to the same Apple ID.

If you're interested in reading up on everything else we know about the HomePod so far, be sure to check out our full HomePod Roundup.

Article Link: HomePod Music Streams Don't Count Toward Apple Music and iTunes Device Limits

2. RCS31 macrumors regular

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Makes sense really, you wouldn't want your music in the car to be cut off if your partner or your kids start playing music on your HomePod.

4. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

5. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

It's about time something seemed appetizing about the HomePods. (Although it didn't take much to convince me to get 2)

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Can't wait to see how commentors on here manage to turn this into bad news.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

8. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Well, they were obviously appetizing enough for you! :) Post your experience and let us know how you like them.

9. ersan191 macrumors 6502a

This is one way AM is better than Spotify, for sure.

Even before this finding, if you had a family plan on AM you could stream 6 songs to 6 different devices simultaneously, even on the same account - on Spotify you are only ever able to stream 1 song to 1 device per account.

The blocking HomePod playback from affecting For You is still just an annoying shim though, HomePod is going to need true multi-user support eventually.

10. Relentless Power, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's not "bad news", However, I think the HomePod will do absolutely fine, the biggest "What if" would likely be Siri and how it responds/interacts, aside from the streaming limits. But initial reviews are positive about the sound, which I think most will be pleasantly surprised by, myself included. I do look forward to actual user reviews personally.

11. deanthedev macrumors 6502a

deanthedev

Yeah, but the other way around could be fun.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Why? Would you like to get home and find your HomePod thrown out with the rubbish? :D

13. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502

mcfrazieriv

Anyone else plagued with the device hand off constantly pausing your music because "it appears you are streaming from another device" ... my watch and phone love to play this game which results in me having to restart both.

14. itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Can you control the music of AM on the HomePod from another device yet play something else on the controling device? Thats why i love Spotify Connect

15. CC77 macrumors newbie

CC77

Serious question: does anyone have a HomePod and live with other people? What I've gathered from reviews is that that use case -- which applies to me, and y'know, anyone with a live-in SO or roommate or child -- has all sorts of problems with it:

- The Verge

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I suspect this might be a bug rather than a feature, and will get fixed at some point...

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Not yet, they don't go on sale or get delivered until this Friday.

18. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Why do you want to “control” the HomePod from another device?
    It doesn’t need controlling. It’s self-sufficient! :)

19. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

I'd like to know how useful one of these is to people who don't use Apple Music and never will.
    TBH, and IMHO, paying to stream stuff you probably already own is madness but there again I'm of a generation who delighted in going down to the record store and reading the LP Sleeves and listening to the tracks.
    Then buying the Vinyl.

20. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Can you imagine the road rage if that happened? :)

21. CC77 macrumors newbie

CC77

D'oh. Nevermind! Revisit this question once it becomes applicable :)

22. kruegdude macrumors regular

kruegdude

I don’t understand how “It also synchronizes the playback status of podcasts on all devices connected to the same Apple ID.“ relates to “turning it off allows users to prevent the HomePod's streams from impacting how Apple Music's algorithms recommend new music. ”. Does that mean that setting controls podcast synchronization somehow?

23. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Is this a permanent feature or a temporary benefit for early adopters? If its the latter, will they let early adopters be grandfathered in, at least for the life of the HomePod?

24. anson42 macrumors regular

Ok this is good news. Last thing I want is for my wife's pop tastes to influence my decidedly non-pop recommendations. *Shudder*