HomePod Homepod not playing Music playlists is pretty annoying.

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Iamjhil, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Iamjhil macrumors newbie

Theres a reason I have them all setup, It kinda wastes the music app if they aren't working together. Sure i can send the audio via airplay, but thats not the point. It shouldn't be called Smart speaker, it's more like a mid level C average Speaker

2. afir93 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure the HomePod is able to natively play playlists, given that they are synced with your iCloud Music Library and that you have an active Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription. What exactly is the issue you're having? From what I've heard it might take a bit of time after the initial setup before it's able to find and recognize everything in your iCloud Music Library, so maybe giving it a little time or restarting the HomePod might resolve the problem?

3. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

It will play your personal playlists, but I have noticed it has trouble understanding the name; i.e. I have a playlist called Shannon's songs. When I ask it to play that playlist it comes up with Del Shannon's songs. Changed to name to "Shannon's music" and seems to have helped.

4. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

So I can't tell the HomePod to play my "Gym" playlist and have it play?

5. afir93 macrumors 6502a

Try to ask Siri on your iPhone/iPad/Mac to play it (given that the playlist is on that device). If it works over there, and if the playlist is in your iCloud Music Library, then Siri on the HomePod shouldn‘t really have an issue playing it either.

6. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Yes, that works fine for me. That's all I wanted to be sure of. I don't have a HomePod, but strongly considering it.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yeah works fine

I often ask it to play my playlist on my Apple watch even when in the car. Works great on HomePod too

8. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Yea I use that on my watch all the time. Glad to hear it works the same. I figured it had to.

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

I was going to say, this would be the MOST bizarre thing ever if HomePod was programmed to NOT PLAY PLAYLISTS. lol

10. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

I bet you end up with more than one.....

....your just wasting time not buying one, or two, or three, or...etc...

Just say'n

11. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I don’t feel that it’s worth the money right now. I have an expensive receiver and speaker set up right now and my Apple TV or iPad acts as a hub. I just wouldn’t use it enough.

12. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Bah.... my high end system uses single-ended class A Tube Amps driving 4 pairs of NHT's.

HP can do 85-90%, cost less than my smallest NHT pair and can be moved from room to
    room with no more effort than getting a cup of coffee.

13. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

That’s fair. No knock on your choice. Just not for me yet.

14. afir93 macrumors 6502a

I actually feel more the opposite, I've ordered one this week but I feel like I'd be wasting my money right now ordering a second one when all the stereo features and AirPlay 2 aren't even available. I first want to try one and see how much I like it; if I like it enough to go for the stereo experience then I can still do that later down the road when all the functionality is available and when there are maybe some good sales for it.

Yes there's a good chance that I'll end up with two HomePods eventually, but I'd be saving both money and patience by just waiting a bit, instead of buying two right now when it's at least a few months before I can take full advantage of them both. If I get a second one when the stereo and Airplay 2 features are out and I end up not liking it, then I can return the second one. I can't do that if I buy two right now and then wait for the features to become available.

15. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

If you want to use Siri to play your personal iCloud playlists as opposed to Apple Music, try saying "Play playlist [x] from my library".

16. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

I wish this worked for me: I have a playlist called Fresh and while every other device with Siri can play it, HomePod will always play the Apple Music playlist Fresh To Death. Tried so many different ways and phrase combinations.