Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After announcing back in late January that the HomePod would be coming soon to India, the company today began sending out emails to customers letting them know that the Siri-powered smart speaker is now available.

welcome_homepod_india.jpg

Apple's HomePod page in India now has a "Buy" button, although with the company not yet operating its own online storefront in the country, the button redirects to a search tool for local and online resellers. We're not yet seeing HomePod stock at major retail partners Amazon.in, Flipkart, and Paytm, but presumably listings should be popping up shortly.

HomePod is priced at INR19,900 in India, which is equivalent to about $263 in the United States. That is roughly 10 percent below the normal $299 price in Apple's home country, although we have been seeing some deals as low as $199 in recent weeks.

Siri support for an Indian localization of English was added to the HomePod with software version 13.3.1 back in late January.

(Thanks, Anmol and Karamjot!)

Article Link: HomePod Now Available for Sale in India

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
I’m not in India, but I skipped on this over the weekend due to not being portable.

If Apple release something portable at WWDC then I think the sales would have taken off. BUT obviously with a global pandemic and lock down going on, it probably won’t happen for now.

I got a Bose Portable Smart Speaker for the bath/shower, kitchen, etc. I live in a flat and have a Bose 5.1 So really needed something I can move around the house.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
This must be like an astonishing luxury in that country. Wonder why Apple won’t release it in other countries where the populace is more likely to be able to afford a HomePod?
Because it takes an effort to improve Siri and its localised skills. This effort is out of reach for Apple. That it is because it is not worth or because it is too difficult, little changes. This is the present situation. I think the biggest problem is mixing local languages commands and song/movie titles or artists/actors names. When almost everything is in English it is probably a simpler task. See Apple TV vocal input, not available in most countries.
Siri abroad sucks, whatever some forum members may say. it is not difficult to notice that for them everything that comes from Apple is gold, so their reliability is low, in my opinion

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Because it takes an effort to improve Siri and its localised skills. This effort is out of reach for Apple. That it is because it is not worth or because it is too difficult, little changes. This is the present situation. I think the biggest problem is mixing local languages commands and song/movie titles or artists/actors names. When almost everything is in English it is probably a simpler task. See Apple TV vocal input, not available in most countries.
Siri abroad sucks, whatever some forum members may say. it is not difficult to notice that for them everything that comes from Apple is gold, so their reliability is low, in my opinion

You have a point, but that makes Apple’s move in India even more perplexing - that’s a country with 22 different languages and scripts. Wouldn’t it make more sense to take HomePod to Anglophile New Zealand or South Africa?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
This must be like an astonishing luxury in that country. Wonder why Apple won’t release it in other countries where the populace is more likely to be able to afford a HomePod?
Indeed. I've been wanting on for a couple of years, but it hasn't been released here..

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
Apple's next quarterly report...

Homepod sales in India = 0
I am buying at least 1 as soon as it launches. It’s pricing here is very competitive here compared to other Apple products. The latest iPhone Pro for example costs 6 times as much

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
The thing has launched like two and a half years ago yet still not available in most countries and EU. Such a pathetic move from a trillion dollar company.

Reactions: freedomlinux

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I’m not in India, but I skipped on this over the weekend due to not being portable.

If Apple release something portable at WWDC then I think the sales would have taken off. BUT obviously with a global pandemic and lock down going on, it probably won’t happen for now.

I got a Bose Portable Smart Speaker for the bath/shower, kitchen, etc. I live in a flat and have a Bose 5.1 So really needed something I can move around the house.

Exactly. A portable speaker with the H1 chip. I don't need it to have a dozen speakers inside, just something that gives an adequate sound.

Reactions: MecPro

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
You have a point, but that makes Apple’s move in India even more perplexing - that’s a country with 22 different languages and scripts. Wouldn’t it make more sense to take HomePod to Anglophile New Zealand or South Africa?
I don't know about Siri in India, does it work (hyperbole, I know) with so many different languages?

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
I don’t get all the Siri sucks and hate over HomePod.
It’s a wonderful device.
It sounds better than most.
In the USA it’s dropped to around $200 if you look.
India will be getting the HomePod after many software updates. And a much more stable system then from when it launched.
Enjoy India!

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
I don’t get all the Siri sucks and hate over HomePod.
It’s a wonderful device.
It sounds better than most.
In the USA it’s dropped to around $200 if you look.
India will be getting the HomePod after many software updates. And a much more stable system then from when it launched.
Enjoy India!
Good for you, enjoy your wonderful device. Outside the english language market, Siri performance with specific tasks needed for HomePod fruition is not enough. Therefore a discussion about international availability. No hate over.

slyronit

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2020
Good for you, enjoy your wonderful device. Outside the english language market, Siri performance with specific tasks needed for HomePod fruition is not enough. Therefore a discussion about international availability. No hate over.
Frankly speaking, even removing the Siri part, the sound on this thing is great and worth the price (at least compared to other Apple products).
Also, English is widespread in India and speaking to Siri in English would be the first choice of anyone who can afford a HomePod.

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
Well I can see why Siri does not understand you.
I don’t understand you either....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.