Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's warehouse stock of the original discontinued HomePod appears to have been exhausted in the United States. As of Monday morning, the delivery option for the full-sized HomePod on Apple's online store is listed as "sold out" in both black and white.

homepod-feature-blue2.jpg

Up until recently, the black model was sold out in the U.S. but the white color was available for delivery "while stocks last." That's currently no longer the case, and though Apple's white HomePod listing still allows customers to check availability for in-store purchase and pickup, the speaker has been unavailable in nearly all retail locations since the beginning of June.

Meanwhile in Canada, Apple's discontinued smart speaker is now listed as sold out in both colors with in-store pickup "currently unavailable." Early last week, Apple briefly listed both colors as currently unavailable in the country before re-stocking the white HomePod, but those supplies now appear to have run out, too.

Apple announced in March that it was discontinuing the original HomePod. "‌HomePod mini‌ has been a hit since its debut last fall, offering customers amazing sound, an intelligent assistant, and smart home control all for just $99," said the company at the time. "We are focusing our efforts on ‌HomePod mini‌. We are discontinuing the original ‌HomePod‌, it will continue to be available while supplies last through the Apple Online Store, Apple Retail Stores, and Apple Authorized Resellers."

Since that announcement, the HomePod has been sold "while stocks last" and already removed from sale on Apple's online store in several countries, including France, Germany, China, Hong Kong, and India. The full-sized speaker remains available on Apple's online store in Australia and the U.K. as of writing, but only in black in the U.K. and white in Australia. As it stands, Apple's HomePod online store listing appears to be on borrowed time.

Article Link: HomePod Now Sold Out on Apple's US Online Store

Last edited:

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
Not surprised. I use mine as a replacement for a clock , for weather forecasts for loads of other things and music isn't one of them !

Amazing bit of kit and great vfm

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Good riddance. The Homepod was probably the most anti-consumer product Apple has ever made.
  1. Connectivity only through AirPlay.
  2. No Bluetooth.
  3. No physical 3.5mm line-in.
  4. No way to use a pair as computer speakers without major latency between computer video play and Homepod audio.
It's like Apple sold this thing to be a "me, too" product in the world of smart speakers. Then they just stopped caring about it. It's really disappointing.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I wish I could get one but I don’t have enough space to enjoy the sound at where I live. Also too bad that Siri STILL does not support multiple languages properly. (That’s basically half of what HomePods supposed to be doing)
Good riddance. The Homepod was probably the most anti-consumer product Apple has ever made.
  2. No Bluetooth.
  4. No way to use a pair as computer speakers without major latency between computer video play and Homepod audio.
It's like Apple sold this thing to be a "me, too" product in the world of smart speakers. Then they just stopped caring about it. It's really disappointing.
Maybe Apple will actually take off their tin foil hat and look at what customer prefers to use once. I thought Apple could survive with only stakeholders.

Reactions: arefbe and femike

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have nothing negative to say about the HomePod, as I do think it was a solid entry level product for Apple to be into the whole ‘portable music player’ segment, but I think the only thing that Apple didn’t do enough of, was market this product properly. A lot of consumers didn’t even know that HomePod was for the longest time, until Apple finally started promoting the HomePod Mini more than they did the original HomePod.

TheGhostWalker

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2021
I wish I could get one but I don’t have enough space to enjoy the sound at where I live. Also too bad that Siri STILL does not support multiple languages properly. (That’s basically half of what HomePods supposed to be doing)

Maybe Apple will actually take off their tin foil hat and look at what customer prefers to use once. I thought Apple could survive with only stakeholders.
I think you'd be surprised how well they work in any size room. The DSP in the HomePods is the best you will find in that category!

ldj3

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Crazy that it only works on the OG homepod as well, not the mini.
Yep, thats whay I think they will be bringing out more larger speakers soon to take on sonos etc. I also love my hopepods connected to new apple TV 4K over eARC. its the ONLY solution available today that lets you have a dolby atmos without a sound bar type device beneath the TV.

Reactions: Fried_Gold

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
  2. No Bluetooth.

But does the HomePod mini fixes most or all of those issues? Or we might see the HomePod minis taking the same road one day.
Just peeked through the product’s page and I didn’t see 3.5mm input mentioned, for example.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Crazy that they discontinued them just as they released the Apple TV 4K with ARC support. This alone was worth keeping them around for.
Agreed.

It seems weird.

I must admit im an Amazon Echo user.. and the HomePod stuff is of little interest to me (Echo Studio sounds amazing)... and the siri functionality falls way behind.

That being said its just so weird of them to discontinue something without having a replacement ready to go.

On the face of it it certainly seems like they are all in on the HomePod mini now - though how you can have something called mini when there is no longer a 'big' one seems weird.

I suspect there might be a replacement for the big one at some point in the future but they just weren't ready to release it yet and producing the old one must not have been viable for them.

Perfect point as you said @Marshall73 - why release a brand new AppleTV with the a ability to use a stereo pair of HomePods (not minis) AND have them on the packaging when they were discontinued months ago.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
  2. No Bluetooth.

It's one of the most pro-consumer speaker ever made what are you talking about? Adding non-Apple bluetooth pairing and physical 3.5mm line-in complicates everything.

Plug it in, wave iPhone, start playing. No other speaker is this consumer focused.

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
  2. No Bluetooth.
Homepod was never advertised as a "me, too" product in the world of smart speakers. It was the tech press who decided it was competition for products like Amazon's Echo and other smart speakers. Siri was primarily used as a control device with some added functionality. Homepod was first and foremost designed as an Apple Music player and that's the way it was introduced and marketed. It was never meant to be a replacement for your computer speakers.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
  2. No Bluetooth.

1. Beacuse you’ll have an Apple device with Airplay.
2. Bluetooth Bandwidth is terrible as is range.
3. Again - you’ll have an Apple product with Airplay if you were buying this.
4. No idea what you are talking about. I have no latency with my Mac and dual Homepods.

It’s awesome - Re: Me, too. You have heard them right? They sound incredible and are better than the Alternatives.

I do however dislike that they power connector is scary to disconnect when you want to feed it thought a wall.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
And yet the HomePod in both colors remains available in the Apple Japan online store, with no mention that the product has been officially discontinued.

JKAussieSkater

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
  2. No Bluetooth.
Also, not portable. Maybe there aren’t many portable smart speakers around, but this was another missed opportunity for Apple. I bought the UE BOOMs instead, which also have stereo pairing.

I agree, this was like a “me too” without any particular innovation over the competition. A copycat.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think the HomePod is a much more pleasing shape than the Mini version. But it wasn't for me (and the Mini isn't either), as someone said above, it wasn't designed as a replacement for computer speakers. The HomePod isn't flexible enough for me.

idmean

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2015
  2. No Bluetooth.
You are probably not the demographic Apple was targeting then. I immediately got my HomePod when it came out, use it almost daily and have yet to miss any of the features you list.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
I scored a pair of white ones at Best Buy for $200 each. I was hoping to get a pair of space gray ones for that price, but now even the used ones are going for $$$.

• Sad
Reactions: Ted13 and boswald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.