Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
I bought a HomePod to try, but I have a multi zone amplifier already with good quality pairs of ceiling speakers in most rooms, kitchen, dining, and a Sonos soundbar in the living room. These are controlled by a Control 4 home automation system.

I have decided to return the Homepod as I feel that I would be duplicating music facilities pretty much no matter where I would locate it. Even though the ceiling speakers can't be voice controlled, I need to use Airplay, which is less convenient.

Anyone else have the same scenario, and if so, what have you done?

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I was remodelling our first floor, and had purchased some Polk in ceiling speakers and run the speaker cables, when the HomePod was announced. I decided to quickly run another set of cables to wall plates located behind to wall cabinets in the kitchen and use those with some bookshelfs until the HomePod was released and I could try it for myself.

Fast forward 8 months, I have a HomePod and I'm not cutting holes in my ceiling!

I think if you already have a system, then I'd wait for AirPlay 2 which will allow Siri control of AirPlay.

If your thinking about installing a system then a key consideration is what's above the speakers? Unless you have built fully soundproofed enclosures, in-ceiling speakers will always bleed into the room above (assuming there is a room above), even at relatively low volumes, so if you've got kid's bedrooms or a home office upstairs you might find your limited on when you can actually use the in-ceilings. I'm saying this from experience, our old house had B&W in-ceilings driven by Rotel multi-channel amps and they sounded great, but made the floors upstairs shake!

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
I was remodelling our first floor, and had purchased some Polk in ceiling speakers and run the speaker cables, when the HomePod was announced. I decided to quickly run another set of cables to wall plates located behind to wall cabinets in the kitchen and use those with some bookshelfs until the HomePod was released and I could try it for myself.

Fast forward 8 months, I have a HomePod and I'm not cutting holes in my ceiling!

I think if you already have a system, then I'd wait for AirPlay 2 which will allow Siri control of AirPlay.

If your thinking about installing a system then a key consideration is what's above the speakers? Unless you have built fully soundproofed enclosures, in-ceiling speakers will always bleed into the room above (assuming there is a room above), even at relatively low volumes, so if you've got kid's bedrooms or a home office upstairs you might find your limited on when you can actually use the in-ceilings. I'm saying this from experience, our old house had B&W in-ceilings driven by Rotel multi-channel amps and they sounded great, but made the floors upstairs shake!

Yep, you are right, definitely some sound leakage.

I have a home office and a cinema room in the loft, so its not a deal breaker. I have the speakers in, so I may as well use them.

If I can Airplay via Siri to a room (each room has a Shairbridge connection in Control 4 ) , that would be very interesting.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
There's nothing like being able to summon Siri to play a song or two instantly! Couple this with the HomePod's great sound (that bass, even at lower volumes) and you got a great sounding jukebox with millions of records at your disposal.

But don't compare the HomePod with a full system. It is after all a small speaker system, but it surely sounds full and amazing for its size. I don't play music from my more powerful sound system anymore then came the HomePod and I play music from it everyday!

I think there is something great about an always on, always ready sound system compared to a run-of-the-mill one that you have to turn on, making sure your bluetooth device is connected then finally getting to press play. With the HomePod it's "Hey Siri, play...!" and you're good to listen and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPGR_Fan

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

From experience I say this is not true. In ceiling speakers did not bleed through to the floor above in my house. Your old house had B&W and Rotel, and now you are placing Polk in the ceiling? Ok. Enjoy the HomePod I am sure it will do fine for your needs.
[doublepost=1519450707][/doublepost]
I might even try the HomePod one day but not for the music, maybe for Siri but she needs work from what I read. Have Alexa doing my home automation so . . . .

The idea that a HomePod could replace an in wall system is comical. So I get that Siri seems to be a novelty to some considering a small smart speaker over a whole house system, but if thats the case sound was not the primary concern to begin with.

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
From experience I say this is not true. In ceiling speakers did not bleed through to the floor above in my house. Your old house had B&W and Rotel, and now you are placing Polk in the ceiling? Ok. Enjoy the HomePod I am sure it will do fine for your needs.
I’m not placing anything in the ceiling now I’ve got a HomePod!

The B&Ws and Rotels were nice, but massively over specced for what amounts to background music in the kitchen/dining room. Cranked up you had as much of a party upstairs as down! From a cost perspective 3 rooms/zones with that system was somewhere in the $2500 range...

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
I’m not placing anything in the ceiling now I’ve got a HomePod!

The B&Ws and Rotels were nice, but massively over specced for what amounts to background music in the kitchen/dining room. Cranked up you had as much of a party upstairs as down! From a cost perspective 3 rooms/zones with that system was somewhere in the $2500 range...
I have the amp and speakers in place already, so it makes sense for me to use them I guess.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Until Airplay2 comes out its not worth doing anything.
HomePod will not wall mount, guess it won't play nice in bathrooms environments like a Sonos does.

Far better off waiting for Airplay2 which should offer a whole host of speaker choice based on room requirements.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have decided to return the Homepod as I feel that I would be duplicating music facilities pretty much no matter where I would locate it. Even though the ceiling speakers can't be voice controlled, I need to use Airplay, which is less convenient.
It doesn't sound like the HomePod is a good fit for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.