HomePod HomePod phone calls without in-range iPhone?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by dmaxdmax, Jun 20, 2018.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

Sorry for the remedial question but here goes:

I was looking for a Life Alert style monitor for my 89 year old mother - lives with us - but I know that she wouldn’t use it because she wouldn’t want to be a bother. (Seriously - if she had fallen with a broken hip she would wait for us to come home.) She needs something where she can contact us or 911 but it has to be hands-free. Bad arthritis and failing vision rule out a cellphone.

I know that some nursing homes are outfitting rooms with Echo Dots but the issue is probably the same. Would she need to have a functioning iPhone with its own data plan to make a call with a HomePod? What about an IP call? What about an iMessage with WiFi? Or something else?

Siri/Alexa would have to pick her up from all of 6 feet away so that should be fine.

Thank you.

2. chabig macrumors 601

An Apple Watch on her wrist would be ideal. Since your primary interest is at home, you wouldn't even need an LTE Watch. A Wifi only watch would be enough. Still, the LTE might bring nice peace of mind for $70, since it can call 911 even if she goes out of the house. You don't need to have a cellular plan to use 911.

3. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I just read on another site:

A Limit of the HomePod: Speakerphone Only
    When it comes to using the HomePod for phone calls, there's one major, annoying limitation: you can't actually place phone calls on the HomePod. Unlike for text messages, which you can read and send on the HomePod just by speaking to Siri, you can't start a phone call via Siri. So, there's no option to just say "Hey Siri, call mom" and start speaking to your mother.

4. chabig macrumors 601

5. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

Good thought but we tried getting her a watch for Christmas and she wasn’t a fan. She likes her old Dino-watch and didn’t want to switch.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2018 ---
    Can it receive calls? She could text us and we’d call back.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 20, 2018 ---
    I hate leaving the ecosystem but the best solution might be Google Home with Google Voice

6. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

24 hours later: I set up a gmail acct, google voice #, and Google Home for mom. Easy, cheap, and flawless.

I bought a HomePod too. Sounds amazing in our kitchen/living room. Probably keeping it too!