HomePod HomePod - Playing Music While Away

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by JWreck, May 28, 2019.

1. JWreck macrumors member

JWreck

Finally bought a HomePod this weekend, which replaced my Echo Dot in the main living room.

It would seem that, unless I’m missing something, the HomePod will not play music from my Apple Music subscription natively - it seems to need an iOS device nearby to AirPlay the music?

What am I missing? Is this really the case? I’m returning it if so. Even the crappy $50 (or free, which is what it was to me) Echo Dot will allow me to play music when I’m away (Drowns outside noise out for the dog while we are away).

I must be missing something.
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2019 ---
    To be clear, on my Echo Dot I had scene that when I said “Alexa, I’m leaving” it would turn off the lights and play classical music from Apple Music (now that Apple allows the cross platform connectivity).

It seems nearly impossible to do something so simple with the HomePod.

2. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

It most certainly does NOT need an iOS device nearby. You have done something wrong

What happens if you say “hey Siri play .....whatever artist/song”? Your HomePod should answer the call and play. You have set it up haven’t you? You’ve not given us much to go on.

3. JWreck thread starter macrumors member

JWreck

Fair question. I don’t believe I have told it to directly play something, only utilizing the shortcut I created, which I’ve included a screenshot of. I just told the HomePod to shuffle my songs and it seemed to play from the HomePod device itself.

So the question is why is the shortcut still requiring the iPhone to airplay it?

Attached Files:

4. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

Because you’re running it on the phone I guess. But never mind that, back to basics first I would advise, ask it to play and see if it works?

Edit: I don’t think HomePod supports autonomous Siri suggestions.

5. JWreck thread starter macrumors member

JWreck

I understand the shortcut runs on whatever device responds. I’ve tested it and the HomePod states she will run my shortcut, the actions commence, but my iPhone is playing the music and streaming it via AirPlay to the HomePod, rather than the HomePod playing it natively like when I ask it to play music directly without a shortcut.

6. JonLa macrumors 6502

Simple test

Shut down your phone so it's completely off, then say "hey Siri, play me some Beatles (or whatever)". If she starts playing then she's working and accessing Apple Music. Keep trying with different bands, and try "hey Siri, play me some classical music" or "something mellow". If you have different Apple Music playlists try "Hey Siri, play my X playlist"

If all that works then the next step is to look at your scene setup, but that will require greater minds than mine...

7. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502a

StumpyBloke

He’s already confirmed it works locally

8. JonLa macrumors 6502

Hmm I was answering this question, rather than the wider question about his playlist/Scene:

"It would seem that, unless I’m missing something, the HomePod will not play music from my Apple Music subscription natively - it seems to need an iOS device nearby to AirPlay the music?"

9. JohnR macrumors member

JohnR

I think it's the Home app that's causing the issue. Mine right now says "Living Room not responding" and under details, nothing. Yet I have music playing through my HomePods. My garage door opener says it's opening...it's not, it's shut. I tried setting up an automation and it doesn't see my HomePods.

We do the same thing (play music for our dogs so they don't bark as much) and when i am ready to leave, I just say "Hey Siri, play _________" usually some genre because if I mention a specific artist, it'll play and stop when it runs out of music. Works just fine for me.