HomePod HomePod Setup w/ 12.2 does not do Stereo Pair

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Thanks, I’ll just add a new home and do it under that one to test.

I’m using a time capsule 3 TB AC router
[doublepost=1554468118][/doublepost]Just attempted and the new home didn’t work for me. I’m also not willing to chance deleting the old home since I’ve got many other devices configured in it.

But it was worth a shot. Support yesterday said this was listed in their internal system as a high issue and really the only way it’s likely getting addressed is in the 12.3 release

nierensieb

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
That's a pity. I don't think it will solve the problem for long anyway, but since I have no other devices in my Home app besides the HomePods I didn't really care.
Just out of curiosity: Did you ever have problems with playback of podcasts on the HomePods? That's my white whale trying to get right (Apple Support seemed clueless as well) and was just wondering if these issues might be connected.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2015
No, never an issue with podcasts but I'm also not a huge subscriber to them anyways.... But for the most part I have been rock solid prior to this terrible 12.2 release.

I made mention to support about the HomeKit changes on the TV sets and there is likely something in the code that got tinkered with on these possibly from the addition of the TV sets. It's getting harder and harder to get a stable release from apple these days due to their secrecy.

Reactions: burgman

andylel

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
To the OP. Have you tried recalibrating them. I have and it worked for me. Unplug from the mains, pick them up and move them about, put them back and plug them in. This apparently re-calibrates the sensors in them and it worked perfectly for me the first time after having struggled for ages with the same problems as you.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Yes I’ve tried this. It’s not a matter of them being delayed or out of sync. It’s that they do not control one another, period. There is no master and there is no slave. They both operate as masters and I have tried this too sadly.

Really what it has come down to is the engineering team at apple has never gotten back to me, their product quality has gotten worse, and I’m considering a switch to dumb speakers as there is very little intelligence in apple. I’ve pretty much given up trying to work with apple and their garbage engineers. Certainly no longer the company that Jobs built. Just the mo eh grab Cook runs. Obviously I’m frustrated now at this point, but short of wasting more time on the phone with Apple, it’s not gonna bear any fruit.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Have you tried pairing both problem HomePods with one of your other working pairs from another room just to see if its a hardware issue.

Mine and most other people seem to have paired HomePods on 12.2 and are working completely fine, with your situation not the norm.

Last edited:

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2015
Have you tried pairing both problem HomePods with one of your other working pairs from another room just to see if its a hardware issue.

Mine and most other people seem to have paired HomePods on 12.2 and are working completely fine, with your situation not the norm.
All 6 HomePods exhibit the issue. This isn’t isolated to just 2 or one pair.

They were all reset to 12.2 and then restarted. All have the issue

Captain Nougat

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008
Orange County, CA
Thanks to this thread I was able to fix the issue I share with many of you. I didn't even know removing the home was something we could do. But now it's back to stereo. I was getting the issue where it was only stereo when I'd AirPlay something, but if I told Siri to play something it would only play out of one. Now it's back to normal. I tried resetting, unpairing, removing, etc.

Totally inconvenient and something Apple should never have let happen. :(

nierensieb

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Well you can... it is just, if it doesn't work you'll spend a considerate amount of time reconfiguring the home. Come to think of it, you'll have to reconfigure even if it does work. So far my HomePods work well after I deleted my home. But of course: No guarantees.

So depending on the amount of stuff included in the Home app I'd wait for a software update from Apple too. You just have to forget about the outrageous amount of money you paid for six HomePods in the meantime ;)
Seriously OP, I feel your pain.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2015
That’s the great thing about these forums. They at least help a lot of people out. I may just go ahead and delete everything anyway just for the sake of trying it one more time. But yes I have a lot of hue lightbulbs and other automation items that are large and number. Maybe that would also help in making them run better.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2015
So I figured out what the issue is with my setup and after 3 1/2 weeks apple engineering has still not even gotten back to me. It does partially have to do with a reset and some other variables, but given the amount of time I’ve had to put into this mess because of the garbage Apple software is I’m happy to PM anyone the solution but have told Apple I’m not going to provide them the fix until I get the proper attention and they fix my hardware issues relating to the shoddy design of the 2016 MBP. Needs a new display cable which essentially is a new display, and a new bottom because the keyboard is fully attached. So aside from the logic board a whole new computer. Great $4000 plus value IMHO.

So the take away is I used some clues from online forums, tested in various patterns and arrangements and a few other modifications and found my own solution, trusted Apple to help me and ended up with only a time suck and still no response from their engineers, and a new formed opinion of Apple that is likely to lead to my household straying away from Apple in the long turn and no further purchases from Apple in the immediate. Customer relations was a complete joke as well and no one replies from Corp.

I had one high level supper agent who was competent but even he was highly embarrassed by the handling of this whole case.

I conclude by saying that if you really want something done right, you have to do it yourself. We now return Apple to John Scully as this is the face of the new Apple. Sickening really.

And thanks to everyone on here for your suggestions. Proof people on here are much brighter than most of Apple’s support team!

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Wouldn’t a write up of your solution be more helpful here in this topic?

Someone with the exact same issue might find this helpful in maybe six/twelve months time when you’ve moved on from Apple gear and unreachable.

Reactions: OzarkMtn

ZMRoach

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Seattle
I've been having issues with my HomePods since 12.2 as well. It started with them not recognizing my HomeKit devices for commands, though the app would work fine. I reset them and then they wouldn't pair together. Then reset them again and restarted my routers this time. I was able to pair them then but now any voice command only goes to one of them, meaning they're paired but they still act like their separate (both light up with "Hey Siri" and sometimes, with timers, I'll get a "no timer is running" message and then ask the other one and it finds my active timer. Really weird stuff...

AirPlay 2 works in stereo though, so I guess that's a plus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm really hoping 12.2.1 or 12.3 fixes all of this because it's driving me insane.

Last edited:

andylel

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
I've been having issues with my HomePods since 12.2 as well. It started with them not recognizing my HomeKit devices for commands, though the app would work fine. I reset them and then they wouldn't pair together. Then reset them again and restarted my routers this time. I was able to pair them then but now any voice command only goes to one of them, meaning they're paired but they still act like their separate (both light up with "Hey Siri" and sometimes, with timers, I'll get a "no timer is running" message and then ask the other one and it finds my active timer. Really weird stuff...

AirPlay 2 works in stereo though, so I guess that's a plus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm really hoping 12.2.1 or 12.3 fixes all of this because it's driving me insane.
Have you tried this:

1 Remove the stereo pair then each pod from Home app to reset
2 Unplug from the power socket (key step)
3 Move the pod around a little or better still walk round the room with it
4 Plug back in and set up again in the home app
5 Repeat with second pod and set up as pair

The unplug and move steps reset the sensors and they recalibrate when switched on as they now know they’ve been moved. I was have endless similar issues and this fixed it all first time and they’ve been OK since.

spencecb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
I only have one HomePod, so I can not give any insight to how to solve the problem. I do wonder if it is related to an issue that I have been having with mine for a few weeks now. I started noticing after iOS 12.2 came out that my HomePod would frequently not show up in AirPlay on any of my devices. I could still use it by using Hey Siri, so the HomePod was obviously still connected to my network and the Internet since Siri would respond and music would play.

I've tried numerous restores, and they all result in temporarily being able to AirPlay to the HomePod, but after a period of usage it stops, and is no longer visible in any AirPlay menu. When this happens, I can still see the HomePod in the Home app, so it is very much connected to wifi.

I took it in to an Apple Store and they ran diagnostic to determine nothing is wrong with the hardware as it passed all the tests and said that this would be software related.

I just updated everything to iOS 12.3 and it did not fix this issue...

Hopefully they can address these issues shortly.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Had the same thing a while back spencecb (including one of my Apple TV's that wasn't visible anymore), was my WiFi-router's fault. Hit the reset button and airplay was all up and running again for all devices after the router booted.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
What WiFi system are you using? Mesh, single router, or another setup? My Xfinity Modem with xPods has a major problem with my IOS devices, no problem with my Windows, IoT devices. Also no probelms with IOS after I returned the xPods.
Earlier this year when I was using a Time Capsule for wifi and had HP stereo pair problems I disabled the 5Ghz band on the Time Capsule and it seemed the fix the problem. Of course downgrading the wifi network is not a very satisfactory solution but it may help isolate a problem. In any case suspect that the HP gets confused by fancy wifi networks such as mesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.