HomePod HomePod, should I get one?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by iJohnnyG, Mar 25, 2019.

1. iJohnnyG macrumors regular

Hey,

So I've just ordered a Mac mini, I need some speakers to listen to music whilst I'm working and watch the occasional film on it. I also use YouTube quite often to view videos.

I've come across several videos where the HomePod is connected to a Mac, however during video playback there seems to be a delay of 1-3 seconds of the actual sound. Has this been fixed by apple? Or is it an issue with the users wifi?

Could anyone recommend some other speakers? I've got a Bose SoundLink which is pretty decent but I use that around the house at the moment.

Thanks,

2. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

There is definitely lag in the playback from the mac. It is the only device that has such a large delay. If you are only going to be using it to connect to the mac then its probably not the best bet.

3. firewire9000 macrumors 6502

If you are planning to use it solely for a computer speaker I think that you have better and cheaper options.

4. BlankStar macrumors 6502a

BlankStar

Latest OS X update supports stereo playback, which wasn't the case before. So maybe the lag is gone now? Currently not at home, so can't test.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I don't think its a good fit for a computer speaker. The thing that makes the HomePod shine for me versus its competitors is its ability to fill a room with sounds, specifically music.

With a computer the listeners position is stationary and fancy omnidirectional speaker can not only be unnecessary but it can be unwanted.

Your particular use case will vary but a good set speakers gears for a computer might serve you better.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 2, 2019 ---
    Video audio sync (lag) has been intermittent for me in the past, currently there is non perceivable for me (using youtube audio video sync test) from my iMac. However I would need to test it for a bit to determine for sure.

6. labyrinth153 macrumors member

labyrinth153

HomePod isn't a good experience on Mac yet. Anything you play on iTunes will work fine, and support stereo pair. I have found youtube videos and the like work/sync fine, but don't support stereo pair. The "lag" is absolutely normal and it should have a few second delay. It's not meant for real time audio. Video apps that don't support it you will need to sync up manually which is a pain.

7. davidec macrumors regular

davidec

It’s a good Bluetooth speaker. You could buy active monitors for the same money that are louder, flatter, cleaner and stereo! Not at all worth the money for a Mac speaker - literally thousands of better options out there.

8. gazwas macrumors regular

gazwas

Until AirPlay 2 goes system wide on MacOS or Apple opens up the Bluetooth capabilities on HomePod it’s not the best computer speaker which is a shame.

However, I have two stereo paired HomePods on my computer desk that I listen to Apple Music while working and they sound mind blowing good. Much better by a long, long stretch than any other computer speaker playing music I’ve ever listened to.

9. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

Lag issues Aside, if you only want it as a speaker for you Mac then I don't think it's worth getting. There are better and cheaper Bluetooth speakers available. However if you have an Apple music subscription and would use it as a speaker even when not connected to your mac and will use the siri integration then it's not a bad option.