HomePod HomePod, should I get one?

iJohnnyG

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Newcastle
Hey,

So I've just ordered a Mac mini, I need some speakers to listen to music whilst I'm working and watch the occasional film on it. I also use YouTube quite often to view videos.

I've come across several videos where the HomePod is connected to a Mac, however during video playback there seems to be a delay of 1-3 seconds of the actual sound. Has this been fixed by apple? Or is it an issue with the users wifi?

Could anyone recommend some other speakers? I've got a Bose SoundLink which is pretty decent but I use that around the house at the moment.

Thanks,

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
There is definitely lag in the playback from the mac. It is the only device that has such a large delay. If you are only going to be using it to connect to the mac then its probably not the best bet.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
If you are planning to use it solely for a computer speaker I think that you have better and cheaper options.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Latest OS X update supports stereo playback, which wasn't the case before. So maybe the lag is gone now? Currently not at home, so can't test.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't think its a good fit for a computer speaker. The thing that makes the HomePod shine for me versus its competitors is its ability to fill a room with sounds, specifically music.

With a computer the listeners position is stationary and fancy omnidirectional speaker can not only be unnecessary but it can be unwanted.

Your particular use case will vary but a good set speakers gears for a computer might serve you better.
[doublepost=1554254202][/doublepost]Video audio sync (lag) has been intermittent for me in the past, currently there is non perceivable for me (using youtube audio video sync test) from my iMac. However I would need to test it for a bit to determine for sure.

Reactions: firewire9000

labyrinth153

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
HomePod isn't a good experience on Mac yet. Anything you play on iTunes will work fine, and support stereo pair. I have found youtube videos and the like work/sync fine, but don't support stereo pair. The "lag" is absolutely normal and it should have a few second delay. It's not meant for real time audio. Video apps that don't support it you will need to sync up manually which is a pain.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
It’s a good Bluetooth speaker. You could buy active monitors for the same money that are louder, flatter, cleaner and stereo! Not at all worth the money for a Mac speaker - literally thousands of better options out there.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Until AirPlay 2 goes system wide on MacOS or Apple opens up the Bluetooth capabilities on HomePod it’s not the best computer speaker which is a shame.

However, I have two stereo paired HomePods on my computer desk that I listen to Apple Music while working and they sound mind blowing good. Much better by a long, long stretch than any other computer speaker playing music I’ve ever listened to.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Lag issues Aside, if you only want it as a speaker for you Mac then I don't think it's worth getting. There are better and cheaper Bluetooth speakers available. However if you have an Apple music subscription and would use it as a speaker even when not connected to your mac and will use the siri integration then it's not a bad option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.