Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpr611

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Does anyone know if Homepod will support all SiriShortcuts? For example, how will the Homepod know how to handle my Pandora shortcuts, or will it leverage the phone and just airplay the audio to the Homepod in a single step?

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I think the answer is no. I can’t even get it to play an audio stream using a safari shortcut.

Disappointing

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Very disappointing if HomePod isn’t supported. I’m still with in my return period and will probably return if so

ryankidd17

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2014
For all of 10 mins, I had Siri on HomePod operating a shortcut. My shortcut would tell me the weather via carrot weather, and then give me an ETA and my first appointment. Now, the trigger phrase does not work. I’m very confused.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
It works extremely inconsistently for me.
For example my shortcuts that I created in the shortcuts app don’t work at all. Custom phrases created for specific apps like THINGS also don’t work. Though still something has changed: I can now say something like “add a new to do in things” and it will ask me what to call that to do, and then it will add this to things, even to a specific list. This would never work before, HomePod was unable to do anything in any app.

So that’s progress - but it would be so much better if the experice was just consistent across all devices - just create a shortcut with voice command on the iPhone and have the same command on HomePod and on iPad. It appears as if the shortcuts don’t sync across devices though!!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It works extremely inconsistently for me.
For example my shortcuts that I created in the shortcuts app don’t work at all. Custom phrases created for specific apps like THINGS also don’t work. Though still something has changed: I can now say something like “add a new to do in things” and it will ask me what to call that to do, and then it will add this to things, even to a specific list. This would never work before, HomePod was unable to do anything in any app.

So that’s progress - but it would be so much better if the experice was just consistent across all devices - just create a shortcut with voice command on the iPhone and have the same command on HomePod and on iPad. It appears as if the shortcuts don’t sync across devices though!!
I don’t think they do because I can’t even get ones I’ve made on my iPhone to work on my watch let alone the HomePod.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Uggh I hadn’t even got round to trying them on my iPad yet.
It's absolutely crazy that they don't sync across devices!
Also it would really be nice if apple had a help page where they explain how exactly what kind of shortcuts (custom commands, shortcuts from the shortcuts app, siri suggestions) work on what device.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

ThankYouRob

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
I also tried to setup a shortcut command to play a Podcast playlist I have setup on my iPhone. Normally I'd open the Podcast app, go to my playlist and hit play on the first/latest episode. When I tell the Homepod to play the playlist via the recorded command, it says "running shortcut" and then plays it......on my iPhone, not the Homepod. WTF? Am I missing something.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Even the shortcuts that do work on my iPhone, I can’t even use on my iPhone if I’m within earshot of my homepods becuase the HomePod takes the command and then says it can’t do it. I think its a bit of a mess at the moment.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Even the shortcuts that do work on my iPhone, I can’t even use on my iPhone if I’m within earshot of my homepods becuase the HomePod takes the command and then says it can’t do it. I think its a bit of a mess at the moment.
This happens with any type of siri command that's not supported on the HomePod. Returning mine due to this and other issues. Just a half baked product at this point

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Tim Cook, Sep 13th, Apple event:

“We couldn’t be more excited for Siri Shortcuts that will open a world of apps to the HomePod”.

I’m not home to test this but did everybody update their HomePod operating system before trying a shortcut? (I presume yes but I still had to ask )

Apple needs to put out a guide not only on how to make shortcuts but also how it all works or don’t work on our devices.

As for the syncing between the iPhone and iPad, all my shortcuts are syncing but not the Siri phrase which is weird because when look at the Voice Memos app where we record messages, the messages sync from the iPhone to the iPad.

UPDATE: The syncing does work. I just checked my iPad shortcuts and they now have the Siri phrase. They weren’t there last evening. I guess it toke a bit of time to do the complete sync. Might be the same for the HomePod ?... I’m not home to try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

Iceage

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
1- If I run a shortcut created within Overcast, it works.

2- If I create the same shortcut within the Shortcuts app, it works.

3-Now, if I make shortcut within the shortcuts app that include the Overcast podcast in #1 and #2 plus a Music playlist, it doesn’t work. It goes directly to the Music playlist.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Siri Shortcuts is awesome with a HomePod. I use it all of the time using shortcuts I've created using Macstories' excellent guide to enable non-HomeKit devices to use Siri. Works great with a Harmony Hub for example. Hey Siri, Watch TV, Hey Siri, Play Xbox, etc, etc.
https://www.macstories.net/ios/how-to-trigger-ifttt-applets-with-ios-12s-new-shortcuts-app-and-siri/

Here are the applets I use if anyone is interested...

upload_2018-9-27_15-57-9.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.