HomePod Homepod Space Gray - White buttons

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by gui0312, Feb 15, 2018.

1. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

So I was given a Space Gray Homepod and I really like it but I am wondering if there is anyway to turn those + and - signs off on the top. The Pod sits close to me and the OCD in me drives me nuts that its not just a blend.

Does the white homepod also have them show since the top part is white on that one?

2. DiegoEGonzalez macrumors newbie

DiegoEGonzalez

I don’t know how to turn them off but the Homepod white also has them, i think it matches really nicely. They are pretty faint.

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

4. gui0312 thread starter macrumors 6502

gui0312

That’s my point, on the white do they blend in more? The space gray you can see from a mile a way. Would you have any pics?

5. rworne macrumors 6502a

rworne

No pics, but there is a lot less contrast - which probably explains the lack of pictures.

Something the salesperson told me as I was considering the color choices that was invaluable that you should consider:

If you hate fingerprints on the top display, get the white one.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems every member here at Macrumors suffers from OCD :)

I don't think there's a way to to disable/turn off the display on the HomePod. Just move the HomePod further away from your desk.

7. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

?
    WoW....my god they aren't Airport beacons.
    I honestly don't see or get how this is a big deal.

My OCD must be a drastically lower threshold than yours....

8. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

Not as pronounced on the white one. I can take some pics tonight and post them. They have to be active though cause otherwise you'd end up pausing your song before you can lower the volume. I think i would have been cool to make the volume a sliding command instead - clockwise for volume up, counter clockwise for volume down.

9. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

The volume controls on my HomePods (I have both white and black) are very subtle, in my opinion. If they weren't illuminated you wouldn't know where to touch the top panel in order to adjust the volume up or down, after all.

Here is something others might not have noticed - the brightness of the two controls does vary depending upon ambient light level. If your HomePod is on a table next to a lamp, for example, notice the brightness of the controls when the lamp is on, and then when it is off. The brightness will decrease significantly when the light is turned off and the room is darker. You can watch it change, in fact.

10. rworne macrumors 6502a

rworne

Here's a picture. Funny thing is, it's a 2018 music device sitting on a 1916 music device (Victrola).

It's not leaving rings either.

Attached Files: