Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Picked up a 2nd HomePod for the bedroom (Best Buy ‘Dads and Grads’ sale this weekend ($249).

Pairing couldn’t be simpler, and the sound difference is better than I was hoping for! Vocals sound proper, bass is stronger (but not overpowering at all), and there are true highs, mids and lows.

So glad I pulled the trigger and jumped on the sale. My bedroom sounds amazing now!

I have a really good home theater sound setup in the living room that obviously blows this away. But this is for my bedroom and I couldn’t be happier with the result!

Wanted to share this in case anyone else is currently on the fence about getting a second speaker (and a heads-up on the sale), and looking for more opinions before buying. I’d say DO IT!

Reactions: Wizec and gwhizkids

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
I added my 2nd HomePod in January and it is quite a huge difference with stereo pairing. I airplay to them with Apple TV and for movies it is really good compared to tv speakers. My 7.1 home theater is definitely better for movies but the stereo pair is not bad.

Reactions: decypher44

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I added my 2nd HomePod in January and it is quite a huge difference with stereo pairing. I airplay to them with Apple TV and for movies it is really good compared to tv speakers. My 7.1 home theater is definitely better for movies but the stereo pair is not bad.
Is there any lag with audio not syncing with the video as it’s not wired directly to the TV or Apple TV, it’s wireless!

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Is there any lag with audio not syncing with the video as it’s not wired directly to the TV or Apple TV, it’s wireless!

Some apps I have lag. I think that is the app and not the airplay.
My Apple TV is hardwired is Ethernet.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Some apps I have lag. I think that is the app and not the airplay.
My Apple TV is hardwired is Ethernet.
The I meant that the HomePods aren’t hardwired to the Apple TV or the TV. I use my Apple TV mainly for YouTube, Netflix and Infuse, can you confirm if these apps works reliably with the HomePod please?

9512tacoma

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
The I meant that the HomePods aren’t hardwired to the Apple TV or the TV. I use my Apple TV mainly for YouTube, Netflix and Infuse, can you confirm if these apps works reliably with the HomePod please?

All homepods are wireless there is no way to hardwire them. The Apple TV uses airplay to send sound to them. I have had no issues with any of the apps above just YouTube tv had some issues the other night with syncing. Not all apps are programmed for airplay either ie slingtv is not. I have used YouTube tv before and had no issues with airplay from Apple TV to homepods but apparently the other night I had issues with the app or network congestion which caused issues with the syncing of YouTube tv.

Reactions: iDento

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
All homepods are wireless there is no way to hardwire them. The Apple TV uses airplay to send sound to them. I have had no issues with any of the apps above just YouTube tv had some issues the other night with syncing. Not all apps are programmed for airplay either ie slingtv is not. I have used YouTube tv before and had no issues with airplay from Apple TV to homepods but apparently the other night I had issues with the app or network congestion which caused issues with the syncing of YouTube tv.
Thanks man.

firewire9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015

Using my pair since a year ago and no issues at all. At first with iOS 11.4 I had a lot of troubles but with iOS 12 everything was solved.

Reactions: iDento

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
I recently tried a stereo pair in my master bedroom and was very impressed with the sound quality. Unfortunately, not one of my Apple TV games worked with AirPlay, so I returned them and got a proper surround sound setup that is optically wired into my TV.

The other downside I ran into was that pretty much every time I woke my Apple TV (4k) from sleep, I had to reconnect it to the stereo pair. Too many drawbacks really, which was unfortunate because both my wife and I really loved the sound!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.