HomePod Struggling to Gain Market Share Alongside Cheaper Amazon Echo and Google Home Speakers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

No you can’t.

2. CreepyAF macrumors regular

CreepyAF

maybe through airplay?

3. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Airplay doesn’t work with the fire tv

4. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

Don't misunderstand me, my friend. Alexa is much better at responding to voice commands for me as well. I suspect there's a reason for that to do with how much 'listening' the device does. That's the point of my earlier example.

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the constant eavesdropping, but I will concede Alexa has become a far far superior voice assistant when compared with Siri. It's not even close.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Heh. Just because it can be done doesn’t mean it can be done easily. I use both Siri and Alexa. Siri because I have to when I need a phone-based assistant, and Alexa when I want something that is generally intuitive and useful. Apple defined the market and led it when Siri was initiated. They should be ashamed of their incompetence that Alexa/Amazon kicked Siri’s ass so badly after such a huge head start. Apple stumbled into that innovation, but sadly they couldn’t capitalize, Amazon exploited their weakness.

6. Rocwurst macrumors newbie

Rocwurst

And yet the research says that Siri is more capable than Alexa since the last updates by Apple late last year.

LoupVentures reported recently that in their latest annual test of voice assistants, Siri's accuracy rate was 79% compared to Alexa on 61% and Cortana on just 52%. Siri was only 7% behind the leader, Google Assistant on 86%.

And Siri is improving at a faster rate of 22% (in 9 months) compared to only 7% for Google and 9% for Alexa in 12 months.

So not only does Siri have 3.5x the usage market share compared to Alexa, it is also 18% more accurate than Alexa.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I’m waiting for the day when Siri can make calls and impersonate a human.

Anyhow Siri isn’t as bad as people make out. The google assistant is much more advanced and I didn’t think Apple are going to catch up anytime soon. There is an argument for Siri being better than Alexa but for now I’d give it to Alexa despite what that research claims. I have all 3. The study didn’t tap into the assistant’s advanced features, probably because the other 3 have no hope in hell or competing. It also didn’t take into account Alexa’s skills. It was basically asking questions and making commands which are basic things that all 3 of them can do.

8. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Amazon is killing it in hardware. Their new Echo Show 2nd edition video+audio home assistant has frequently sold out. That hardware plus Google Assistant would be the end game while HomePod is pretty much DOA.

9. Gilligan's last elephant macrumors 6502a

One should always take "research" undertaken by business organisations. They can skew the methodology to suit their own or their clients ends.

10. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

I think there’s an app which simulates AirPlay. Might want to google it up.

11. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I was hoping that the HomePod would be as flexible as my Google Home Mini ($20)+Chromecast Audio ($10)+IKEA Eneby speaker ($80) combo. It isn't... not even close. Although the HomePod sound quality is amazing, it doesn't sound 3x amazing to me.

I haven't tried the Echo yet, but I know I should. I've had great success expanding the Fire HD tablet and Fire TV far beyond what Amazon intended so those have been great values. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Echo perform similarly.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the HomePod is as locked down as it is. Perhaps consumer resistance to it isn't so much about the price or function but a loosening of Apple's grip that their ecosystem has on their customers (more people who enjoy Apple products are feeling less of a need to remain solidly in the ecosystem).

12. Rocwurst macrumors newbie

Rocwurst

Hi Sracer, I'm interested to know what the HomePod can't do that you can do with the Home Mini, Chromecast Audio and Eneby speaker? I've personally found the HomePod quite capable in combination with my AppleTVs, Homekit, Security cameras, Philips Hue lights and smart power plugs so I'm curious to know what you found lacking?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2019 at 5:53 AM ---
    You might like to know that Loup Ventures previously rated the HomePod and Siri lower than Alexa until Apple's late-2018 updates so I think we can trust this particular research group.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2019 at 5:56 AM ---
    3.6 million 350 dollar HomePods sold in the USA alone (let alone the rest of the world) generating 1.4 Billion dollars revenue for Apple is not what most people would call "DOA".

13. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The person I replied to wants use the HomePod as a speaker got their fire tv.

14. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Maybe people aren't aware or just like to place their own spin on things. I played with the homepods at an apple store, the sound is very good.