HomePod HomePod- Trouble in Paradise

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Endorphine88, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Endorphine88 macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

I still love my HomePod. Had it since launch and it's been a phenomenal little machine.
    I was on a trip out of town for a few days and when I came back it feels like this thing has a mind of its own now.
    It still sounds great. That's the good.
    Now the bad:
    'Hey Siri" will trigger anything else but the HomePod. That never used to be a problem. I know it's kind of expected when I have a watch, a phone and an iPad all in the same room and close to each other, but up until now, the HomePod always took over.
    I will give commands and they will either be ignored or ...get this: I ask her to play a specific album today, the HomePod responds and then the album starts playing on my iPhone instead (?!).
    Yesterday. Siri decided I was done listening to a certain song and skipped it halfway through the song even being finished.
    Is she possessed? What did I come home to?

PS - I know I can disable 'Hey Siri" on all other devices and that will kind of solve things, but I use Hey siri in my car all the time, I don't wanna have to manually trigger her from the steering wheel (1st world problems). I also know that no.1 suggestion will probably be to restart the HomePod. I haven't done that yet, frankly. I'm just confused. It went from working flawlessly to being a little brat.

2. Jesla macrumors 6502a

Jesla

Just a thought... try picking the HP up and tilt it on it's side, stand
    it back up and set it down.

Sounds weird but it will reset it's location, or something, and Siri
    will work like new again.

3. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I can’t help but wonder if some of this is software related. I wonder if Apple planned to have 11.3 out in time for the HomePod launch but fell behind.

Only because I’m not experiencing any of the horror stories I read and I’m on 11.3.
    Of course that’s a very limited test case of 1 out of probably hundreds of thousands and now that I’ve said it I’ve probably jinxed it and it’ll bugger up :D

But as @Jesla said, try giving it a shoogle, can’t hurt and maybe during the recalibration everything else gets a kick up the backside.

4. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

......you know how those kids are when parents are out of town. Maybe Siri partied a little too much while you were gone;)

5. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

She missed you and was giving you a guilt trip. Next time take her with you.

6. jyyz macrumors regular

Try deleting it from the Home App on your iPhone. Then reset the HomePod: unplug the HomePod, wait, plug back in, and hold the top middle - continue to hold until it resets. Set it up again. (Maybe reboot your iPhone before doing all this.) I had an issue where one of my HomePods Siri stopped responding (almost as if it has lost network connection.) After trying a few things, the reset cleared it up. Haven't had an issue since, so assuming it's just buggy software.

Hope this helps.

7. Endorphine88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Endorphine88

LOL! Funny enough I did think about taking her with me, but she would not have worked on the hotel's unsecured network !

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

That would have been your fault too.:D