HomePod Turns Two, Lower-Priced Model Might Launch Later This Year

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2013
I’m tempted to get one, especially as I could set it up as the core of my Apple HomeKit system.
Would love to see it updated with 802.11ax support as I’m trying to make sure all my devices I buy in the next year or two support it.

V_Man

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2019
Thanks for the heads-up. I asked that question months ago on another HomePod thread here and someone responded that a device wasn't needed to stream and control music to Sonos.

The beauty of HomePod is that it's always on and only needs my voice to play the music I want to hear. And via beamforming that HomePod employs (in both directions - playing music and listening for commands), can understand my voice commands from 20 feet away while it's playing music.

I don't need to find/use my phone/tablet/computer, open an app, and select a song/artist/album/genre/etc. I just need to say something like: "Hey Siri, play Kind of Blue."

For me, that's huge.
Try asking Siri to play a specific Grateful Dead/phish show. Not possible.

Reactions: CodeRaven

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
If it drops below $200, I might get one. But I've already got speakers running off an Airport Express, which serves its purpose decently.

I imagine people who've bought into Apple Music would see more of a value proposition.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
If it drops below $200, I might get one. But I've already got speakers running off an Airport Express, which serves its purpose decently.

I imagine people who've bought into Apple Music would see more of a value proposition.
For sure on that, especially at $7.08/month.

When Apple Music came out four years ago I tired the free trial. Didn't like it - was not ready for prime time.

A year latter I tried out AM again and it was so much better. I'm hooked, especially when combined with HomePod or listening to music while I'm driving.

DeepIn2U

macrumors 603
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Please give me one I can plug into my existing sound system
I find it very disheartening that Apple, which used to pride itself on all things music related has taken such a lack lustre stance on speakers.

maybe, just maybe, like the AppleTV the HomePod will mature into a full lineup or products.

I see this articles news to be full of bs ... Apple doesn’t work in low end products. They have once and o let once with the iPod and that simply was after they dominated portable music players and decided to kick all the low priced competition. This isn’t the case right now.

Apple should NOT deal in the low end home entertainment market, the profit margins are too thin/unit, and the competition is purely cut-throatgunning for market share to entrence people into their ecosystem.

Apple should expand the HomePod into a full line of home speaker and entertainment system products: pure Bass woofer, satellites, sound bar and outside speakers (patio/backyard use).
Then as Siri evolves or it’s replacement would be awesome!!

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
have 5 work perfect, sound is AWESOME!...Siri gets better all the time...need a cheaper mini version, need intercom feature, and one day amazon fresh intergration (last one I know will never happen, lol)...only have amazon for intercom and building my fresh cart, would love to completely get rid of my dots!

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Apple should NOT deal in the low end home entertainment market, the profit margins are too thin/unit, and the competition is purely cut-throatgunning for market share to entrence people into their ecosystem.
For sure on that.

Apple should expand the HomePod into a full line of home speaker and entertainment system products: pure Bass woofer, satellites, sound bar and outside speakers (patio/backyard use).
Then as Siri evolves or it’s replacement would be awesome!!
I'd like to see that as well. Apple could go far employing their underlying signal processing technology in the products you mentioned above, and others as well.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
The market has decided, and the decision is near unanimous...

THIS PRODUCT IS A FAILURE!!! PERIOD; NO CAP!!!

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
I bought one white HomePod when it first came out. It died in a surge from a nearby lightning strike about 4 months ago. I bought two to replace it. I absolutely love the HomePod and the sound is better than my KEF surround sound. Only wish is for it to control the Apple TV the same way the remote microphone button does. I’m so glad Apple has decided to keep a high quality product not flood the market with low price junk that sounds like crap (ahem amazon/google)

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
What are the sales? What were Apples internal targets? Can't say it's a failure unless you know the targets and sales.
We've both been around long enough to know by Apple standards, that this is considered a flop. Not to be confused with perhaps being an actual good product.

I might pay $150 tops for this thing, that's about it. Apple missed the mark, plain and simple 🤷🏾‍♂️.

I7guy

macrumors Core
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
We've both been around long enough to know by Apple standards, that this is considered a flop. Not to be confused with perhaps being an actual good product.

I might pay $150 tops for this thing, that's about it. Apple missed the mark, plain and simple 🤷🏾‍♂️.
I'm not sure Apple missed the mark. The HomePod might not be for everyone, but as you say, it's very good at what it does. IMO.

Reactions: Tagbert

ceriess

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
What is the point when they haven't even started to sell it in New Zealand? We get the latest iPhones before anyone else but 2 years later we still cannot officially buy a HomePod.
Have you ever considered that maybe your attitude has something to do with that?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I would really like to see a $99 homepod, smaller, focused on targeting what the echo dot does for me now.
I used to think that was a bad idea (because of the thin sound you get from dot-sized devices) but I was wrong. It would definitely work for folks who already have other Airplay-2 systems throughout their home.

Case in point: I have four HomePods spread around the house, but I also have six non-Apple Airplay-2 compatible speakers in other rooms. They're speakers only (no mics) but I can pretty-much get anything playing anywhere just by asking. "Hey Siri, plays jazz upstairs", "Hey siri, play Mozart in the bathroom and bedroom", "Hey Siri play Massive Attack in the garage", "Hey siri play BBC radio 1 everywhere".

The HomePods have sensitive mics. Whichever is closest takes charge and streams to all the rooms I ask for, regardless of whether they've got HomePods, Naim or Ikea/Sonos. It's pretty darn brilliant.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Still not widely available across Europe... Apple is not interested in enlarging market share for it.
- - Post merged: - -

That's an understatement. I got an Echo dot for 99 cents over the holidays. Just had to sign up for Amazon Prime music and then cancel. For good sound I use my AudioEngine A5 Plus speakers connected to my Airport Express. Still the best solution for me. I have given Apple a hard time, but the Airport Express is a delightful product and has held up well for many, many years now.
When you pay $1 for a product, the product is you.
I don’t think having an Amazon microphone active in my house is a good idea at all...

Reactions: citysnaps

Coconut Bean

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
there is no need...

The problem with this product is that apple need to market the HomePod like AirPods, the videos of the product is silly and you don't understand nothing from them, the customer need to have sense of the incredible sound quality combined with the ecosystem in order to justify a 300$ worth in his mindset, as of now it only the "Siri" speaker for many folks out there...

in 300$ the HomePod is a steal and very CHEAP! worth way more than that..
and there are times that it lowers to 200$!..

echo? google home?
they are NOT in the same product category (they produce sound, thats the only common thing)

HomePod is light years ahead in terms of sound quality and clarity, The bass notes, the atmosphere is on another level.
Most, including me cannot distinguish the sound quality of a $200 vs $300 dollar speaker. But even a toddler can assess that Siri is ****.

Oh and AirPods are popular because of convenience not sound quality.

darthbane2k

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
That’s just not true. The sound quality mightn’t be to your personal taste, and things like this are subjective, but a wide range of publications praised the high fidelity of HomePod audio.

I’d also take issue with your ‘useless’ statement re: Siri. If that were not also fakenews, I’d be at a loss to explain what it is in my kitchen that helps my family with various tasks & queries nearly every day (btw, not claiming Siri is perfect).
This argument again.
Yes HomePod received a lot of initial praise for its sound and I agree it sounded amazing... initially.
Everyone conveniently forgets or rather doesn’t acknowledged that apple
Zapped the power and punch out of the HomePod following a firmware update and it’s never been the same since.

honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Apple should release a smaller 'minipod' to compete with google home and Amazon Echo. Google home is superior but Alexa is incredibly popular in the UK. I tried it and it's great at turning lights on or off, however, searching for things, asking questions, it sucks!

Reactions: orbital~debris