HomePod HomePod - Very Slight Hiss

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by StumpyBloke, Feb 27, 2018.

1. StumpyBloke Suspended

StumpyBloke

Hi all. I’ve just noticed my HomePod has a *very* slight hiss (I think from the top). Only noticeable when no music is being played and when very close to the unit itself. I must stress it really is subtle.

Anyone notice it on theirs? Thanks.

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

YES!

You must have very sensitive hearing, like me. (I can hear the UPS truck from several streets away and my friends think I must have psychic powers. :D)

Reading up on it, it seems to stop when the HomePod goes into sleep mode, which should be around eight minutes (though it normally seems longer).

It is a very very slight noise, and I now realise that my other speakers do it too. I've only noticed now because this is the first time I've had a speaker, i.e. the HomePod, on my bedside table (so very close to me at night when not in use).

Hopefully a software update could improve this.

[Cue a barrage of comments saying "mine doesn't do this" or "mine is silent" - this is a really subtle noise that you wouldn't hear if for example you have a hard drive anywhere in the room, or a DVR with a fan, and so on...]

3. StumpyBloke thread starter Suspended

StumpyBloke

Thank you. Yes as you say...it’s incredibly quiet. Mine seems to do it all the time (certainly doesn’t stop after eight minutes from wake up put it like that). It’s like a very quick ticking noise.

I couldn’t find anything on the Internet about it. How did you find out? Thanks again.

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I was just going by my observation that it stops after a while, and the HomePod environment report, which states that it goes into sleep mode after eight minutes of activity (which may well be true - we don't know how Apple defines "inactivity").

5. StumpyBloke thread starter Suspended

StumpyBloke

Just had another listen to mine and yes something certainly happens after a few minutes. There is a far more ‘pronounced’ hiss straight after its played any audio. That then dies down, presumably after eight minutes, to the even less obvious ticky noise.

Is yours absolutely silent when it’s in sleep?

Edit: yeah my hearing at that range is good but causes these issues

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you could be hearing "white noise" from the speaker amp.

7. StumpyBloke thread starter Suspended

StumpyBloke

Umm, is that good or bad...or something else?

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Once it dies down after about eight minutes, I can’t hear anything (that’s not to say it’s silent, but I can’t hear a ticking). It’s possible yours might be dodgy - I’m sure if mine was ticking I would be able to hear it.

9. StumpyBloke thread starter Suspended

StumpyBloke

Mmmm. Not sure what to do. Am surprised I didn’t notice this all from day one to be honest...I normally do! . Oh well...

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not good or bad, just physics.

11. StumpyBloke thread starter Suspended

StumpyBloke

Thanks. Just had a close up listen to my Echo Dot and that too has a perpetual hissing. Ain’t technology great

12. Newtons Apple, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

99% of the time you will never hear it unless you are in a very quiet room and are close to the device. Audio amplifiers are not perfect.

I suspect all of my Echo devices are hissing gently with only the cats to listen.