HomePod Homepod Vs Sonos advise/help

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by watsonjm, Sep 26, 2018.

1. watsonjm macrumors regular

Ok, i'm looking at replacing my very old sony speakers with either homepods or sonos (or a combination)

The problem i have is that everything I watch and listen to is run from my iMac with a large TV connect via HDMI. Because of this the speakers i get would need to be for music and for movies/TV that is played from the iMac.

As much as i would prefer homepods i cant see how they can work well as TV speakers as well as for music

The other option i am looking at is a sonos sound bar connected direct to the TV and a homepod just for music. Does anyone know if with the Airplay 2 update both can play the same music from itunes? and how well does a homepod work when just connected to itunes?

Any help advise or suggestions very much welcome.

Thanks

2. sigomez macrumors regular

I have both the HomePod and Sonos speakers and I honestly love both. Airplay is able to connect both the sonos and the HomePod to play music jointly.

3. watsonjm thread starter macrumors regular

Ok that helps alot thank you

Do you connect you homepod from a iMac?

4. sigomez macrumors regular

I never have but do connect to my ipad and iPhone all the time.

5. cynics macrumors G4

You can connect via iTunes on an iMac. You can AirPlay directly or just have the HomePod play specific things directly.

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 4.43.29 PM.png

Apple Music is pretty much a requirement for the HomePod btw.

I also have both and they both have limitations. However since I use HomeKit devices I use the HomePod more.