Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
So, I've got a client meeting on Friday to show them a video. I'm taking my MBP and a 4K screen. I'd like to have great audio also. So I'm contemplating getting a HomePod so the audio is much better than via the MBP.

My question is, do I need to join their wifi network to get the Mac and HomePod to work together? Or can it use just peer to peer wifi?

I always have trouble joining their wifi network when visiting and I need this to absolutely work - nothing can go wrong. If there's any risk of it not working I would take a bluetooth speaker instead.

(It's maybe just an excuse to get a HomePod (!) but I also know the client is a bit of an Apple fan and the HomePod will be a great talking point.)

Libertine82

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
I took it to a friends house and i needed to delete the Homepod from the Home app then reset it up when my phone was on the wifi, it then pulled over the details, would be interested to now if there is a smoother way to do this?

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
I took it to a friends house and i needed to delete the Homepod from the Home app then reset it up when my phone was on the wifi, it then pulled over the details, would be interested to now if there is a smoother way to do this?
That’s interesting. I asked Apple Support this morning and they said it just works.

Libertine82

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
That’s interesting. I asked Apple Support this morning and they said it just works.
Ha ha they would... Well I've not plugged it back in since I've been home so will be interesting to see if it pulls my home wifi, ill update this thread later when im home from work. But maybe you should connect your phone then set up the homepod fresh just to be on the safe side.

kingjames1970

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Hampshire, UK
Ha ha they would... Well I've not plugged it back in since I've been home so will be interesting to see if it pulls my home wifi, ill update this thread later when im home from work. But maybe you should connect your phone then set up the homepod fresh just to be on the safe side.

I appreciate that! Apple used to be about making things easy, sigh...

Libertine82

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
It picked up my wifi first time... strange it didn't last time... but yeah it just worked ha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.