HomePod with intergrated AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by northernbaldy, Aug 9, 2017.

1. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

The latest firmware leak got me thinking, what if Apple release two HomePod's, one with AppleTV integrated

New 4k AppleTV for people who already have a decent sound system.
    HomePod with integrated AppleTV for those who don't.
    Base spec HomePod for people that just want music and as a second speaker for HomePodTV

Why else would the HomePod firmware contain so much code for video?

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Interesting theory. But I don't see it since leaks of design would've happened. Unless it's their "one more thing".

3. northernbaldy thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

If it looked exactly like the HomePod but with a few extra ports on the back, maybe the people who leak pictures haven't realised it's something different

4. mac.cali macrumors 65816

If it in a sound bar shape, I'd be more included to purchase. Right now I see it as another set of speakers.

5. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

Many people have gone to wall mounted TVs and use the internal speakers, or wall mounted soundbars. No more TV stands taking up room etc. The current Apple TV can usually be hidden behind the TV, or on a small shelf near it.

The homepod design would work very poorly for this. No to mention the homepod speaker is meant to fill the room with sound, not provide directional surround sound like proper TV speakers/soundbars/home theater setups. They are not meant to be used for Video use.

Now a Apple designed soundbar with Apple TV and Homepod functionality built in could be a very interesting device. It will probably be much more expensive though (I would guess $750 or more). However, you run into the same issue here as you do with building the Apple TV into an actual TV set. In 2-3 years the TV portion of the device will be outdated to the point it will need replaced, while the speakers etc would still work fine. Nobody is going to want to spend another $750+ to replace it every few years. But replacing a separate Apple TV box for $150 is much more feasible.

TVs tend to last at least 5-7 years before they need replaced. Longer if you aren't worried about keeping up with the latest tech. Speakers can last 10 years or more and still be perfectly fine. Streaming devices are outdated every 2 years or so. I'm much happier with replacing my Apple TV every couple of years and continuing to use the same TV, Speakers, AV receiver, etc.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

It's a logical extension the product line. I don't think we'll see it this year, but who knows what the future may bring?

For now, I'd be delighted if ATV 11 supported AirPlay from an ATV to HomePod and other AirPlay 2-compliant speakers.

7. McScooby macrumors 6502

C'mon this is :apple:, why sell 1 device when they can sell you two & 2 lots of :apple:care!:rolleyes:

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Why stop there? Lost of us have imagined that we want an :apple:TV+wifi router combination too. Some want :apple:TV+Time Capsule. So how about a HomePod Speaker + :apple:TV + Time Capsule all in one. Apple pricing? About $799-$999.

9. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

I can see the benefit of using the Apple TV and Homepod as WiFi Access Points/Mesh network (build in an Apple Airport Express), but I think you would still want an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule as the main router. I would love to see aup updated Airport Extreme/Time capsule with iTunes built so it would be able to use home sharing without having a computer on and running iTunes 24/7.

Right now my Airport Extreme is in a central location in the basement of my ranch style home. I get coverage everywhere, but in the master bedroom and kitchen it isn't the greatest. If the Apple TV in my bedroom could be used as a WiFi extender/access point that would be great (it is hard wired ethernet). I could also see myself replacing my Logitech Wireless Boombox bluetooth speaker with a HomePod some day, especially if it worked as a WiFi extender.

10. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Nah, it's an iOS device, end of. That's why it's got all the same code as an iPhone/iPad, it's just easier to put the code stack in so Siri etc can work