HomePod HomePod won’t stop

pup

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
I have an issue with my HomePod where once I start playing to it via iTunes or my phone, it won’t stop, pause, change songs, etc. until it’s run out it’s buffer. That is, I’ll change songs in iTunes and all of my speakers will change except the HomePod, which just keeps playing whatever it was before until it finishes whatever was in its buffer, which is often another 30 seconds or so of music. Once it stops then it will respond normally. If I stop it manually or unplug it then that just screws up the whole mess and I’ve got to restart iTunes to get it to reconnect.

Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix?

pup

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
Thought I'd update this since I finally stumbled upon the fix to my problem and I've seen a few other complaints about the same thing. Turns out the problem was in my network configuration. Instead of using the WiFi on my cable router, I have a separate Velop network with three nodes, connected to the router via ethernet. Well, the WiFi was on it's default settings, which meant that it was creating a subnet, and Airplay couldn't communicate between the ethernet network and the subnet. I was working around this by keeping my iMac on both networks, which allowed me to Airplay to both wired speakers and wireless. As it happens, Airplay doesn't really work that well like that. The fix was to switch the Velop network to bridge mode, allowing the cable router to assign addresses and everything on the same network. Instant fix. As a bonus, now my wired speakers show up on my iPhone. And as an extra bonus, it seems like a lot of my other network woes have disappeared - Home app is working much quicker now and doesn't seem to be losing connections as often, and even the Remote App seems to be working properly for once.

Reactions: I7guy and Itinj24