mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
When I ask my HomePod “what’s the weather today” she tells me to continue on companion device. When my wife asks the same question she gets an answer.

Same thing if I ask Siri what’s on my calendar. My wife gets and answer and I get told to go to my companion device.

Personal requests are enabled and set to never require authentication. Anyone have this issue and get it resolved? Tried a soft restart.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Figured it out. If you have a wind down shortcut set for weather, reminders, etc the HomePod throws up on itself if you ask for any of those apps to your HomePod.

Nice QC Apple. Submitted feedback. We’ll see if it ever gets fixed. I consider wind down unusable in its current state now.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2012
England
That really is piss poor. Good find on your part though. Glad you reported it. Of course they will ignore it LOL

Brainguynyc

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Figured it out. If you have a wind down shortcut set for weather, reminders, etc the HomePod throws up on itself if you ask for any of those apps to your HomePod.

Nice QC Apple. Submitted feedback. We’ll see if it ever gets fixed. I consider wind down unusable in its current state now.
What is a “wind down” shortcut?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
What is a “wind down” shortcut?
It's a new iOS 14 feature. Wind down essentially locks your phone after a certain time at night the same way it does do not disturb while driving (aka you can easily bypass it). But you can set "wind down shortcuts" that will appear on your lock screen when wind down is enabled to do certain tasks like check the weather, open apple books, etc.

The idea is that it makes certain tasks available close to bedtime so that you aren't tempted to waste time on your phone when you're supposed to be going to bed.

Brainguynyc

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
It's a new iOS 14 feature. Wind down essentially locks your phone after a certain time at night the same way it does do not disturb while driving (aka you can easily bypass it). But you can set "wind down shortcuts" that will appear on your lock screen when wind down is enabled to do certain tasks like check the weather, open apple books, etc.

The idea is that it makes certain tasks available close to bedtime so that you aren't tempted to waste time on your phone when you're supposed to be going to bed.
Well I have no wind downs set and I can’t get Siri to give me a weather forecast. Yet when my wife asks Siri responds correctly! By the way thanks for the wind down explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.