Homepodrumors really enough.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tonyr6, Feb 19, 2018.

1. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

This site is turning into nothing but Homepod news. It is getting annoying. There is so much new mac and tech news that is not even being reported here anymore. All the news here is about Homepod. Someone's Homepod falls on the floor and it will be a lengthily news article here about it.

The only thing saving this site now is the forums. Really I go here more than the front page.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

I subscribe to a few news sites that cover Apple (9to5, AppleInsider, Daring Fireball, MacUser) and haven't noticed Apple related news that MacRumors has missed.

What sites are you reading that are covering stuff missed here?

3. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

This thing puts MR in a predicament, Apple is trying to capture a market share where they have really not invested any time or technology into and as a result is sadly lacking in comparison to its competitors in every way, at 3 times the price. That said, I get they have to cover the news here but it feels like both MR and Apple are really trying to "make HomePod happen", I would much rather see news about existing devices.

4. Starship67 macrumors 6502a

Starship67

What news might that be?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Echoing a few of the other posts in this thread, but any time Apple launches a new product, particularly a new product category, there is a lot of news coverage. Features, bugs, how-tos, sales estimates, etc...they're all natural topics for coverage and generate a lot of interest and discussion. Over time, things will return to more of a baseline mix.

And we're certainly not neglecting other stories in favor of HomePod coverage...we're happy to cover anything relevant to our areas of interest. If you think there are things we're not covering that we should, by all means tips us through the submission form at the top of every page or through our email tip line to make sure our editors are aware.

6. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Hard to fault you guys for this, after all Apple products are the entire purpose for this site. Cool that we can come in here and whine about it, it's also up to us to ignore content we might not be interested in, too.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Overall, I think MacRumors does an excellent job of keeping us tech enthusiasts informed on the latest Apple news and rumors.

The Homepod was recently released so there are going to be a few more articles than usual. If the extra amount of Homepod articles bothers you, don't read them Stick to reading articles that interest you. Very simple. Instead of being myopic in your thinking, consider there are a lot of other people that view and use the site besides you.

8. tonyr6 thread starter macrumors 65816

tonyr6

I guess your right. The same thing happened with the Apple Watch.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2018 ---
    If there was a pick and choose option that would be great. Just show news from (check off categories, iPhone, Apple TV, Music, Movies etc.).

9. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

When a new product is announced I do come to MR to learn more about it, and get a different perspective. So I do appreciate the 'additional' coverage. However, I do understand the OP's original sentiment, when MR starts to cover 'coasters' I think they are scrapping the bottle of the barrel and pandering to a crowd that loves to be negative. Facts seem to be missed, or at least not emphasized, for sensationalism. Why encourage the haters to hate?

10. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I happen to like the additional coverage and articles about new products. IMO, these articles help balance the perspective of the various views as well as showing various facets of the real world usage of a product. The last Youtube video on the MR channel showed a fair balance on the HomePod.

One thing we know Apple does not make products for every person. They do tend to enhance the value of their ecosystem through their products.