Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
OWC says they are selling new HomePods.

They say they get them direct from Apple without an Apple warranty. OWC offers their own warranty for 1 year.

These units do not come in a white box but ship in a plain box that does have the proper padding for the unit.

However, little things like a protection sticker on the top, and a properly wrapped power cord are missing.

Anyone have any experience with these units or can comment of the claim of them being new. Does Apple really sell new units to resellers this way?

I find it hard to believe this is how Apple sells these units to resellers, and wonder if these are actually refurbished.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
They obviously are not new. So does it really matter? If you like the price, buy one. If not, don't.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
If not new, then yeah it matters because it might indicate more likely failure which costs the buyer more in the long run.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
What OWC actually says is that these HomePods are "New, Bulk (Non-Retail) Packaging." Quantities are limited (and they only have 13 of the white. If you want to know more, why not ask OWC?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
I did. They said the units were new, that Apple sells them without a warranty, and that they are covered by the OWC warranty.

But I am having a hard time understanding how Apple would sell new HomePods in this manner to a third-party. I could understand if the homepods were all refurbished but they claim they’re new.

I could be completely wrong, and that’s why I posted here for comment.

shirleyrocks

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
I can’t speak to how OWC/Macsales stocks their HomePod inventory, but I bought one from them a couple months back. Apart from the non retail packaging, it’s indistinguishable from the HomePod I bought through Apple and I’ve had zero problems with it.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve never heard of not having Apple support on an Apple device wherever it was bought from. I’d be cautious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.