HomePod's Multi-Room Audio and Stereo Features Will Not Be Available at Launch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Within the HomePod's pre-order date and launch announcement today, Apple confirmed that the smart speaker's multi-room audio and stereo features won't be making it into the device at launch. Instead, users will be able to activate these features sometime "later this year" in a free software update.

Multi-room audio with Apple's AirPlay 2 protocol will be aimed at customers who purchase more than one HomePod, and will let them play music throughout their home.

The feature allows for different songs to be played simultaneously in different rooms, or the same song can be played in each room "perfectly in sync," and the speakers communicate with one another through AirPlay 2.

[​IMG]

Stereo sound is created when two HomePods are placed in the same room, after which they automatically notice one another and become a "stereo pair" to provide a "more immersive" listening experience.
    Of course, right now it's unclear exactly when Apple's free software update for these features will go live in 2018. Ahead of that, users will be able to pre-order HomePod on Friday, January 26, and then the speaker will officially launch two weeks later in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia on February 9.

Article Link: HomePod's Multi-Room Audio and Stereo Features Will Not Be Available at Launch

2. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

So, still not ready for prime time. Big miss here.

3. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Might as well just order one to start with then...

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I was really looking forward to seeing airplay 2 in action.

5. Xavier macrumors 68030

6. ayale99 macrumors 6502

Only if you were planning to buy more than two at launch. Otherwise, you're fine.

7. Mirice99 Suspended

Yet another Apple fail with a product released well before it's fully functional.

Cue those defending Apple in 3..2..1..

8. Preclaro_tipo macrumors regular

Honestly, what is wrong with Apple? A near Trillion Dollar company can't make a speaker.

9. Wilburx3 macrumors member

Wilburx3

What a joke, under promise and over deliver, is the mantra of successful companies.

10. parnas macrumors newbie

In other news: Sound reproduction also coming later this year.

Until then: enjoy your new home decor item.

11. verniesgarden macrumors 65816

verniesgarden

seriously what is up with apple not being able to launch their big features lately? seemed like almost half of the advertised features of high sierra weren't avail at launch, like iMessage sync is still missing, AFS for fusion drives still missing.... but I'll still order one... I think I'm the problem....

12. iName macrumors newbie

Wow that is such a mess. Don’t bother launching until its ready then! That’s a huge feature and a main selling point, guaranteeing no one will purchase multiples if they even decide to purchase 1 at all. Apple has had a series of flops and disappointments lately.

13. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

At launch, Siri will be unable to understand your request on one HomePod at a time.

14. brian3uk macrumors 6502

For goodness sake. Half (or more) of the stuff announced last year has been late, half baked, or MIA. Why should we continue to believe the stuff we're told at WWDC or any of the other keynotes.

15. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

I've been burned too many times to order a launch product that is missing features. When they ship the promised product with all of its features, then I will consider a purchase.

16. robbyx Suspended

Or you could just buy Sonos five years ago and have both of these features.

17. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Still waiting for eGPU support. I won't buy another Apple laptop without official support for it.

18. zhang96 macrumors member

19. ateslik macrumors regular

Apple should buy Tesla. They have the same business model.

20. dantracht macrumors 6502

dantracht

Then that is when I will buy one: later this year.

21. radio893fm macrumors regular

Why didn't they buy Sonos? It is actually an honest question, may I add... instead of buying Beats, i.e.

22. goudok macrumors regular

I wouldn’t be surprised if Airplay 2 was never built at wdc. It was just an extension of what the Mac already does. And does it really bad due to never being in sync and really a total nightmare.
    So once someone actually tested the feature and saw how bad it was they had to rebuild it from scratch.
    I don’t think the HomePod is the cause of the delay. I honestly think is AirPlay 2 that they can’t get right.

23. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I have a feeling Airplay 2 was one of the biggest reasons for a delay and then Apple delayed Airplay 2 again and just decided to ship the HomePod.

You know you can get the exact same functionality with ONE HomePod right now.

24. goudok macrumors regular

Probably way too many home speakers sound bars. I don’t think Apple really wants to be in the sound bar business.

25. justiny Contributor

justiny

Apple’s keynotes are turning into CES. “It’s not available for purchase and we don’t know when it will be released.”