Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Anyone experiencing the same issue?

I have 1gb fibre internet at home and over wifi 6 I get 930mb/sec

Some time ago it slowed down to 700mb/sec on every band despite the Speedtest on router showing no loss of internet speed

So I decide to set it up as brand new and I did with a new SSID

With just the MacBook connected I was back at 930mb/sec. I added my iPhones iPad Apple TV and watches and other devices and no issues with speed.

Then I added my OG HomePods. The wifi speed went down to 800mb/sec. I then added in my homepod minis In the room and again it went down to 700+mb/sec

Look at the individual usage there’s hardly any usage from the HomePods so it’s not slowing down my internet just the wifi

Are the HomePods broadcast their own ad hoc wifi and are they causing disruptions?

I’ve tried changing between the bands and it hasn’t made any difference

Turn off all the HomePods and it’s back to top speed again

Reactions: cutienoua

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
do you have the HomePods set as default audio on an appleTV? I've seen reports here that that slows down the wireless on the appleTV. not sure if that's a problem, just something to test.

the HomePods do have bluetooth, if they are too close to another wifi device that can cause interference , (although normally it's the other way, wifi messes with bluetooth since it's stronger) Same applies to wifi and wifi, so if the devices are too close to each other, it can case problems, they recommend at least 1m (3ft) apart. This is especially true if one of those devices is the main router.
this can also apply to cordless phones and baby monitors and stuff like that that operate in the same frequencies as wifi.

I've got a big HomePod, and it seems to be a bit finicky with wifi, have you tried rebooting the HomePods?

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
How are you measuring WiFi speed?
Speedtest (10 times and then averaged out)
With homepods connected, average is 680Mb/s
With homepods turned off (plug pulled out), average is 890Mb/s

Also amplif has an app that tests wifi speed between router and device eliminating internet speed issue. Its consistently over 900+ with the homepods off and comes down to 700+ with the homepods on

There is no increase or drop in RSSI measured by my MacBook. It stays the same with homepods off or no so it can't be interference

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I would recommend using something like iPerf to measure local wireless performance. You have a lot of variables in play.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
What other variables?

Speedtest to server A - 730mb/sec
Download from Local mirror 58MB/Sec

Switch of all 4 homepods

Speedtest to same server A - 936mb/sec

Download from Local mirror - 88MB/Sec

Wait 1 hr

Speedtest to same server A - 928mb/sec

Download from Local mirror - 89MB/Sec

Switch on all 4 homepods

Speedtest to same server A - 750mb/sec
Download from Local mirror 53MB/Sec

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
What other variables?

Speedtest to server A - 730mb/sec
Download from Local mirror 58MB/Sec

Switch of all 4 homepods

Speedtest to same server A - 936mb/sec

Download from Local mirror - 88MB/Sec

Wait 1 hr

Speedtest to same server A - 928mb/sec

Download from Local mirror - 89MB/Sec

Switch on all 4 homepods

Speedtest to same server A - 750mb/sec
Download from Local mirror 53MB/Sec
You should never test to the public internet if you are trying to validate local network performance.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
You should never test to the public internet if you are trying to validate local network performance.

Im not trying to test my max speed

Im trying to prove a drop in speed

I believe my test above does just that

Im am never able to achieve anything above 750mbps in the hours, days, weeks with the homepods on.

The minute it goes off, my wifi 6 speeds shoot right up and it never dips below 900mbps regardless of timing

But the amplifi app does have a router to device (macbook) speed test

So i ran it with the homepods off

Im on a 1000/50 plan

Router to internet
973/49mbps

Router to device
926/643mbps

I turned on the homepods

Router to device
690/480mbps

Last edited:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Im not trying to test my max speed

Im trying to prove a drop in speed

I believe my test above does just that

Im am never able to achieve anything above 750mbps in the hours, days, weeks with the homepods on.

The minute it goes off, my wifi 6 speeds shoot right up and it never dips below 900mbps regardless of timing

But the amplifi app does have a router to device (macbook) speed test

So i ran it with the homepods off

Im on a 1000/50 plan

Router to internet
973/49mbps

Router to device
926/643mbps

I turned on the homepods

Router to device
690/480mbps

Honestly it doesn't matter a bit to me, just trying to be helpful.

Absolutely zero of what you are trying to prove involves the public internet. That's why anyone with a proper troubleshooting approach would eliminate that variable and focus on what's happening on your local network.

Good that your device supports it easily.

Madchemic39

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2020
Have you tried separating 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies in router?
Try separating them, rename them as 2 and 5G in the end and connect your Homepods and ATV to that frequency.
let me know if it helps

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Yup it doesn't. I tried it at the beginning. Firstly band steering never works with my amplifi alien (don't get me started on this useless $ router) so I turned that off and separated the bands between 2.4 and 5ghz

Connected all my devices to 2.4 except my MacBook to the 5ghz and it still have the slowdown.

On the amplifi forums, they seem to suggest the HomePods are creating its own mesh network and on the same frequency as what network its connected too. I find it hard to believe that apple would do that. Also in their documentation they suggest that it only uses 149 for its communication and to avoid using that band.

Another thing they suggested is that HomeKit communication in the background is slowing down the router

I don't understand how a quad core CPU can't process that of 4 HomePods.

As I mentioned I have gigabit internet. If I had anything slower than 700mb/s I probably wouldn't notice the slow down since the routers are giving me at least that speed. Which is why I feel most people don't know they are having this issue.

But this morning I tried again

Wired to 24" iMac, 940/47Mb/s

Wireless to 24" iMac, 750/47Mb/s

Unplug 2 x HomePods OG in the same room as my AmpliFi aline (though not close by), wireless to 24" iMac, 850/47Mb/s

Unplug 2 x HomePods mini in my bedroom, wireless to 24" iMac, 930/47Mb/s

Plug them all back, 750/47 again...

Last edited:

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
same issue here. with homepods unplugged 550Mbps. with them on the network about 100Mbps. tried different settings on the apple home app, no dice.
might have to sell them and move on.

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
I must be having a brain fart. What’s QoS?

Quality of service. It´s a router setting that allows you to manage your internet bandwith, per device even, set speed limits, restrictions, and more.

Reactions: Itinj24

cutienoua

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
"the fix" was to use an apple tv dedicated to the Homepods stereo paired.
apple tv has to be hardwired to the router. If I play directly to the speakers, network speed goes down. If I airplay to this apple tv it is all good.
I use another apple tv for watching tv and Bose soundbar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.