Homescreen landscape mode on iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by warrior30, Oct 20, 2014.

1. warrior30 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Newbie here, been an avid reader but a first time post.

Is there any reason why Apple have decided not to incorporate landscape mode on the iPhone 6. There seems to me that there is enough screen estate on there to make it fairly comfortable to have the homescreen in landscape mode.

I often find myself watching films or browsing Safari in landscape then having to switch to apps via the homescreen, only to have to turn it around.

Is this something so that it will differentiate it from the plus? I can't see a technical / practical reason why not. Something that may come out in future?

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

you think people here know the answer as its set in stone? nobody knows why. But i would assume different features for a bigger screen. if you don't like it you should of got a 6+. If you don't want a phone that big then put up with not having that feature...

3. warrior30 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a speculative question. If we all have the opinion of 'you know what you pay for so don't complain about anything you don't get' then what is the point of these discussion forums.

Thanks for a not too helpful response for my first post.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

a 3.5" jailbroken iPhone 4 could do landscape on the home screen so it has nothing to do with space or hardware

they likely did it to make the plus different

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow. The OP was simply asking if there was any speculation surrounding the lack of that "feature" on the iPhone 6. It makes sense to have it, frankly. Your response is crappy. Go buy a phone that is basically not what some people want due to the size just to get that feature is an inane response. It is a feature that was clearly not part of the iPhone 6. No one should be surprised, but it would be nice to have.

As far as I know, both the hardware and software should be able to support this feature. Maybe it will happen in some software update later down the line.

6. g0odfr1end102 macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Hey OP! Welcome! :)

As someone said above, I remember having that feature on my jailbroken iPhone 4 back in the days, worked like a charm. They really could've make it work for the 6.

7. 617aircav Suspended

Simple. It's product differentiation.

8. warrior30 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for some 'normal' and 'helpful' responses people.

Didn't realise that it was available on a jailbroken iPhone 4, wow, if it can be done on the smallest screen size then really gutted Apple haven't thrown this into the 6.

Agreed that it's probably down to product differentiation, but you would have thought that if they were going to differentiate it would have been something a bit more significant than homescreen in landscape mode. Disappointed, hope it will be a future update as it's handy, but definitely not enough for me to go and buy the plus.