Homeshareing is password protected but I don't have to enter a password?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dany M, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Dany M macrumors 6502

So i selected homesharing to be password protected on itunes, selecting all content to be shared.

On my iphone 4 i set up homesharing through the settings, ipod

when i go to sharing in the ipod app and select my library, it doesn't prompt me to enter my password.

Im only worried because i am using the campuses wifi to have home sharing (i don't see any other library's) and don't want random strangers to see my videos or hear my songs

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    but you did enter your password under "home sharing" in the ipod preferences didn't you?

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Home sharing is different than library sharing. The latter is setting up the machine for streaming to anyone with iTunes and the right password. The former is tied to your Apple ID and allows you to copy protected music back and forth between machines wirelessly. You login to the iTunes machine using your Apple ID, which secures it. But you need the Apple ID just to see what machines are in the home sharing group.

Random people won't be able to get in, and you don't need to have the library set to be shared for it to work.

4. Dany M thread starter macrumors 6502

AH ok. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks