Homework software...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wallock, Sep 15, 2008.

1. wallock, Sep 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Check out iProcrastinate mobile.

It doesn't sync with iCal, but has a desktop client with syncing coming soon according to App Store description.

3. wallock, Sep 15, 2008

wallock thread starter macrumors member

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

have you looked at OmniFocus? I use it for task management and 'honey-do's' but not sure about your other requirements.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You could always just use iCal. Put in dates and times for when it due and then schedule in time to work on said homework.

6. rogers106 macrumors member

iCal is great...

On my iPhone, I spent the $5.99 to get an app called "Assignments."

For the most part, it works wonderfully. I highly recommend it.

7. wallock, Sep 15, 2008

wallock thread starter macrumors member

8. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

MS Word for Mac?

Easy enough to create the list, and I think, but don't quote me on it, you can edit it on a iPhone.

9. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Actually sounds like OmniFocus would be the perfect fit. I'm not sure what you mean when you say it only supports small lists. I have some very intensive projects built out into OmniFocus and it works great. Expensive? Slightly...but extremely powerful, and if it does what you need it will certainly be worth the cost.

10. dws90 macrumors regular

Another option is Appigo's Todo. It's an iPhone app that lets you sync with two very good web-based task managers - Toodledo and Remember the Milk. Both have their pluses and minuses, but either one should be able to do what you need (no pun intended).

There's also Things, which is a Mac desktop app with an iPhone companion. It's still in a free pre-release beta period and is missing some rather essential features (sort by due day? I mean, come on!) but it definitely shows promise.

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Do Apple To Do's sync with the iPhone? I used that through when I was in college. I majored in Finance, probably not as tough as law, but I used to have a lot of assignments in there back then. I synced with a Treo 700p though, but it worked great.

If this doesn't sync with iPhone, my apologies. Some of the ones mentioned don't sync with iPhone either, so I figure might as well save some money.

12. jrlieber macrumors newbie

Omnifocus

Omnifocus looks like a good bet. I've read it's best for power users, and a bit complicated for novices. I am the IT guy for our family and am looking for a software solution for Mac laptop/iPhone for my 14yo son's homework. We've just started using this program and it's working really well. School is school - papers to write, research, problems to do, homework to turn in, reading. The challenge is how best to organize. $20 for the iPhone software. You can get an educational Omnifocus version for around $50, or family version with 5 licenses for $120. Syncing between the two currently via MobileMe, but they will have patch for direct iPhone-Mac within the next several days, so they say. While it is some $$ invested, organization requires effort, and the payoff is time, which is $$$. Any organizational suggestions for homework?
    Thanks,
    Jrlieber:)

13. Brammy macrumors 65816

Zenke is another one that has a good web-based app for data entry.

14. Tlaloc macrumors newbie

check out Things. i've been using both the desktop and the iPhone version and i reckon it's by far the easiest to use and has the best user interface.

the iPhone version is 9.99 which is pretty cheap and the desktop version is still in beta so its free. i think they said it would be $39 once they release it in jan.

best to do app i've tried to date, and i've tried a few

15. yoppie macrumors 6502a

16. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Student-to-student, I'd suggest the app called "iHomework" from the app store. There are always new apps released that may be better, but it works best for me right now.

Check it out here if you haven't already.

Deciding Factor for me: Ability to see future assignments in a detailed list. I like to see what's coming up on one page. It also shows what time an assignment is due.

I am entering my syllabus list of assignments on it right now, and it rocks.