Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uluvbs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Hi, all.

My desktop PC died, but my MBP still works, as does my external monitor. I am debating whether to just continue using the current set-up (MBP + monitor) indefinitely, for several hours a day and ideally installing Windows 7 on it, rather than just using my MBP when I travel and purchasing a new desktop.

-1- Part of me would rather just have one computer, and it would save me from having to spend another $500 or so getting new desktop components, but I can't help but think the MBP is going to die a premature death being used all the time?

-2- I also have a lingering suspicion that the quality of the video output via mini DisplayPort to DVI is not as good as what I was seeing with my prior video card.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Personally I don't think you will have any issues, unless you need do intense graphics using programs. But then again I use my 2010 MBP at work with an external monitor and then go home and do the same thing. At work I use programs like Photoshop, Vectorworx and the graphics seems to be holding up even with the lid closed and just using my external monitor. At home I boot into Boot Camp with Windows 8 and play games.

Haven't seen any detrimental effects doing this and I've been doing it for quite some time..

Just my 2 cents...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.