Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techie4life

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Georgia
Hey guys,

I have spent countless hours pouring over this forum looking at various screen protector reviews trying to figure out which one is truly the best all-around player when it comes to matte/anti-fingerprint. So far, I know of the PowerSupport Anti-Glare HD, the SGP Ultra Matte and Oleophobic, and the PhantomSkinz Matte. I realize that no matter which one I end up getting, there will be SOME reduced clarity of the retina display, but which of the 4 (or others I haven't mentioned), is truly the best, clearest matte screen protector?

Thanks in advance.

KzR

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
Matte screen protectors will inadvertently reduce Retina display's clarity. I currently am using a matte screen protector, and it looks grainy if I look closely. But I guess that's how they are, cannot help it.

I'm thinking of switching to a normal screen protector to enjoy the full clarity and contrast of the display.

iammike1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
O'fallon IL
It all depends on what you like more. Clear will allow the Retina display to shine but AG will negate finger prints and smears, doesn't allow dirt to stick easily to the screen and makes finger movements very smooth.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Having used both types, I much prefer the clear protectors over the matte/anti-fingerprint ones. Since the Retina Display is a key component of the phone, the matte protectors definitely take away from that. If you're super anal about fingerprints and such, then the matte is definitely a good choice since they're easier to clean. However, to fully enjoy the display on the IP4, it's best to stick with the clear protectors.

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
I used the Oleophobic for a while but eventually the build-up of oil and fingerprints was just too much. So I've been using the SGP Ultra Fine and while there is a slight reduction in clarity, I barely notice anymore and it's worked just fine. In the end it's all about personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.