Honest question about ios 8 app scaling

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wonslung, Sep 27, 2014.

1. wonslung macrumors member

I love ios. I love every iphone and Mac I've owned (and my iPods too) but I am a little confused about app scaling in ios 8. I am not a programmer so if there is an obvious answer to this that I am missing I am sorry. iOS 8 scales apps. I understand the need for that. I don't understand the need to scale the status bar. It looks so bad. How hard would have it been to allow scaling of apps without forcing scaling of the status bar. It seems to me they could have just scaled them how ever many pixels the screen is minus the standard status bar. What am I missing.

2. Puonti macrumors 6502a

My guess is that apps that choose to display the status bar are created with the status bar's height taken into account in their design and content. Changing that after the fact would leave some odd rows of pixels which would not be part of the status bar, but not part of the app either.

3. matthewadams macrumors regular

From a dev perspective: When you work/design iOS apps, your app can now go behind the status bar (since iOS 7), so the status bar somehow becomes part of the app (in terms of graphics at least).. thus the reason it is being scaled too.

4. wonslung thread starter macrumors member

Ok. That makes sense. I wish apple had thought of a clever trick to fix it. It's a minor issue and I know I'm nitpicking but it's ugly