Honestly, when will my high school GPA be used?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EMILinator, May 28, 2008.

1. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    I am already going to be accepted into the nearby university..

what else will my high school GPA be used for?

i am so unmotivated to do my english and history finals. my finals are projects, so i didnt really have to study. by bombing these finals, i will go from a C to D in both classes, as i have C's in those classes.

explain to me why i need an A over a D, compared to PASS and FAIL.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

some skools take back their acceptance if you completely stop working

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I don't know about skools, but I know some schools :p can reject you if it shows that you got senioritis (aka gave up because you got accepted). Your final report card can be crucial.

I have never heard this happening though.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

hs gpa is used to
    1)get into a college
    2) get into honors program if they have one
    3) gets your finaicial aide

now i used to think what is the point of doing well in college besides just pass

reasons are
    1) Financial aid/scholarships
    2) getting the first job/intership. this is a biggie too as your grade is only relevant for your first job after graduation. after that its all about previous work you have done. i know lockheed for example wont look at you unless you have a 3+gpa
    3) need a good one for grad school
    4) if you want to graduate with distinction

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I can almost see how the rest of your life is going to go based on your attitude towards school work that is displayed in your first post.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

dun did gone an coreected my learnin now did ya?

Lets gettum boys!:mad:

lol

7. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

If that college notices that drop in performance, they can drop your acceptance...but you will also use it for applying to real jobs. The better you do the better you will do in the future

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Your college acceptance is not guaranteed. They can pull it if you give them reason to. Your grades are sent to them.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

so they're not even hard.

stop being a lazy ass and just do the work.

10. EMILinator thread starter macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA
    ughh.
    im just really unmotivated.. im hoping an overrall high school GPA of 2.0 can get into my university.. and that GPA is UNweighted. i am taking IB classes, similar to AP classes, so hopefully my weighted GPA will be a little better..

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think a better question would be "Are you willing to risk the possibility that your GPA will hold you back?"

12. Aranince macrumors 65816

I know a high GPA can help on keeping car insurance low...

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

You need to have a 3.0 for that discount, plus that would only help his parents, you know, the people that pay his insurance.

I know it's hard when you lose motivation, but come on, just man up and get your work done.

14. David G. macrumors 6502a

Haha, The seniors at my school got out on Monday.

The 12th.:D

15. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Because negative reinforcement is always the way.
    I've always loved these types of responses.

It always helps to have a good GPA at the end of high school just because if your school does ask for a final report card you don't have to sit there for hours figuring out an excuse on what to say to the college of your choice. It also widens your options for scholarships and summer internships.

16. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Man, you'd better hope, I can't think of a school, other than a community college, here in California that would let you in with a 2.0 GPA (unless you have phenomenal SAT scores). You'd better really step it up in college, a lot of schools require 3.0 GPA or higher to maintain scholarships/not be on academic probation. Classes are going to require much more work too and it will probably be somewhat harder work. No more busy work worksheets that count for a bunch of points, its going to be all reading that you have to motivate yourself to do, and then essays and tests to determine your grade.

Do your best now and consider it preparation for all the crap you're not going to want to do in college.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That isn't actually an example of negative reinforcement.

Negative reinforcement removes a negative feeling/action as a result of doing something positive (ie, your parents give you back your iPod if your grades improve).

Conversely, positive reinforcement provides a new positive thing that the person would like (ie your parents buy you an iPod because of your good grades).

What you really mean to say is that negative attitudes aren't going to help anyone.

OP, I think it's important for you to remember that even if it doesn't matter to the school you're going to (which I'm sure it actually DOES), it does demonstrate a very bad case of that dreaded disease that is infamously known as

Senioritis

:p

I'm sure you're already in summer mode, but think of it this way: once you finish these projects, you'll be done and you can enjoy your time off because it will have been well earned. :)

Or, if you'd like, you can hear the horror stories of going to college, wherin after finishing finals last week, I continued to study for the LSAT, began filling out the last stages of paperwork for my Americorps internship (7:30am to 5pm everyday for 9 weeks...woot?), and of course realized that I had put on a few pounds during finals week and now have to work them off.

Wanna trade? :p;)

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Ah the joys of seniorist. I warn you now it will repeat it self in your last Semester of college as well.

I along with many friends struggled to keep motivated in the last semester of college as we had to do was pass our classes because we already had job lined up after graduation

My advice is just hang in there and force yourself to keep at it. Though out life you will hit times like this and you just have to mussel your way though it.

19. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Aside from getting into college, it won't be used again.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

3.0 to stay off AP? That sounds pretty harsh.

Anyways, I failed my senior year math class, and yet I still got a merit scholarship for college. That was kinda weird considering I was going into engineering... :confused:

21. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I kinda phrased that wrong. I know quite a few schools that will put on on AP if you have a scholarship and receive lower than a 3.0 GPA. I know a good few students that its happened to. I really don't understand it, its not that hard to get a 3.0. It really bugs me, I work 20 hours a week, am in two clubs, run one club, and still manage to pull 3.9+; so I really don't understand it when half the people I know, who don't work, don't do school events, etc, pull lower than a 3.0. Just a peeve of mine. I mean, geez, they all pay $24,000+ a year to go to school, whats the point of sitting through class on facebook, not learning anything, and getting C's and D's?

22. danny_w macrumors 601

Every company that I have worked for in my 30+ years have ALL at least ASKED about my GPA (I am a software engineer). It would seem that it would only be for your first job, but no, my current employer (since '99) I know asked for it. And it is also not true that a very high GPA always looks better to an employer - my wife (I think she has a 3.9x) almost didn't get her first job because the boss thought she would be book smart but with no common sense (this is what her boss told her when she asked what got her the job).

23. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

However, assuming you have your Bachelors, no company is going to look at your high school GPA which is what the OP was asking about.

24. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Geez ... I hope your feeling better when you get to university or you are not going to do very well. Are you depressed? Sounds like you might be.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

25. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

not true, and yes, i am a hiring manager for a large company

as stated above, it will be a part (or should/could be) of every resume you submit for the rest of your life

now, you can spin it, explain it, argue against the value of it, but the bottom line is... it is in black and white and is a reflection on you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]