Honestly, will the iPad 2 sell out March 11th?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jman800, Mar 4, 2011.

?

Will the iPad 2 sell out March 11th?

1. Yes.

34.2%
  2. No.

33.2%
  3. Just lower model 16GB

29.6%
  4. No way, will not be in high demand for a sell-out

3.1%
  1. jman800 macrumors regular

I have not seen a thread with this main idea, and it may help others on choosing a time when to line up.

When will the iPad 2 most likely sell out? Will it? What has past events with a similar release time seen?

I'm guessing it depends on the area and the store, but is this thing going to be in hot demand? Or is the hefty price (Compared to iPhone) going to cut the line down?

Any thoughts or comments about the avaiblity of the iPad 2 during the first day will be greatly appreciated.

2. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Without the Pre-Order option, its hard to tell.

I hope there is bad weather in my area on the 11th
    Less likely of people waiting if the weather is horrible (Heavy Rain) which is better for me.

3. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Im with you there... I don't honestly think the iPad is big in my town, but who knows. I'm thinking its not going to be bad, its the 2nd Gen, most first owners are not going to upgrade, and I don't believe the line for first tablet owners is gonig to be a long one.

4. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Well I dont think the majority of the folks in my town are willing to take the deep step of $620 (CAD after tax)

I think thats alot of money.. I mean I myself am buying the $735 varient (32GB WiFi only after tax, again canadian)

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

6. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Well right now its an exact tie between yes and no... I'm just hoping getting there 3 hours before is enough time..

7. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Me 2.. I hope apple does well but all I am interested is doing the right thing and come up w/ right plan so that I can get my white 16 gig ipad 2 on that day.. as painlessly and without wasting too much time..

8. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

The lower end models will sell out quicker that is foreshore. As to the demand, I don't think it will be as crazy as iPad1, but I don't doubt that if there is no pre-order the Apple store will be busier than usual.

9. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I really doubt it this time around. Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy AND of course Apple will be selling them. I am sure the production was kicked into double time. I work on Friday and I am off at 6. I am going to map out some locations, give some calls in to check inventory and I am certain I will find one that has them. 16GB 3G on ATT for me.

10. JPanther macrumors newbie

Any thoughts on NYC? Should I go for the insane 5th Av or go for the Upper West or even Soho?

Lining up either way on 11th!!

11. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Yep, it's gonna sell out and be out of stock for a few days (IMHO):apple:

12. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im probably going to check out the store around noon and if theres people in line ill just start waiting :D.

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

16GB, that's a guaranteed yes. 32GB, only in some stores. 64GB, that's a guaranteed no.

14. iserian macrumors 6502

1st one did not and I can't imagine #2 doing it since everyone who wanted a Pad already has one (not everyone but A LOT). I expect some model's may sell out sooner than others but I'm thinking you will be able to pick them up a day or two after launch w/out too much trouble.

15. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I doubt they will completely sell out, but what I'm concerned about is them not having the specific model I want. Last year there weren't that many options, particularly with the wifi only and 3G models being released on different dates. But this time you have the choice of color, and if you get a 3G model, you must choice which carrier you want.

I'll be getting the white, 64GB, 3G, AT&T model. I doubt they will run out of that model, but I'm still planning to get there 3 or 4 hours early :p

16. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

It all depends. I'm picking mine up at a Best Buy in a city of 40,000 people. They don't sell out as quickly as a store in NYC would.

Another thing to consider is the demand. The iPad isn't as high demand as the iPhone, so I would think that lines aren't going to be much of a problem.

I'm looking for a 32 GB white wifi model, so I doubt it'll sell out fast. Most people I know opted for the 16GB.

We'll see. :D

17. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Apple will constrain shipments to MAKE it sell out. I suspect they will also hire actors to buy them to gin up a perceived demand.

18. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

This. Most people don't want to shell out the money for the higher end models.

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I doubt that it will sell out, maybe the 16GB WiFi model might go quick, but you'll certainly be able to pick up a 16/32/64GB 3G model easily.

20. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I think the white 32 GB WiFi model will be the first to sell out.

21. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I hope not! :(

Right now I really want the white one, but who knows. I won't know for sure until I see both. I wouldn't be too upset if I had to get a black one, though.

22. NickDaQuick macrumors newbie

I plan on calling around tomorrow and then deciding where i will go and at what time, honestly i dont think it will sell out.

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I voted no, here's why.

32 gb may be really hard to find anywhere.

Walmart, Best Buy will retain enough 16/64 to meet supply (people don't want to spend too much, or have too little space) - in fact this could push me into a 64, if the 32 is sold out all over, I don't mind if I upsize.

Verizon / ATT have the 3g covered.

I agree with Pan-Am, 32g wifi white sells out before anything.

24. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

so here's the moral of this thread...''no one knows"

the end!

25. jman800 thread starter macrumors regular

Well based off the results of the poll, you're right we don't know. Yes and No both are pretty much always at a tie.

However, speculation never hurts!

And if you think about it, 32GB selling out fast makes ALOT of sense. More people going for this then we think.