iPad mini Honestly, will the ipad mini hold up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ncvikingx97, Sep 18, 2013.

1. ncvikingx97 macrumors member

Hey guys , I have a question for you. Do you think the mini will hold up for the next couple of years, at least in terms of smoothness for day to day tasks. With the impending release of a new mini, I want to snag a current-gen for the low. Just want your guys opinion on how the thing will age. Thanks!

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Well, my iPad 2 is just as wonderful (and fast) as the day I got it in March 2011, so there's no reason the Mini won't hold up.

3. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

I want to make it clear the type of person I am before I mention my comment. I am very keen on details, and notice everything. I also am a very quick acting user, and don't like lag.

With that said, I think the mini is one of the least future proof products they sell right now, and I would absolutely wait for that reason. Believe it or not, iOS devices do slow down a little bit after a while with apps being installed and what not, and even hard restores don't rid the system of these slow downs. With the iPad mini's current "out-dated" specs, I would say it's worth the price for the update.

~My modest opinion~

4. GBR macrumors 6502

I have to agree with you. I love my mini but it is apparent that it just doesn't have the horsepower to really keep up all the time. Plus, now that I'm running iOS 7 the non-retina screen is killing me! The slimmer text and minimalism is really not served well on the mini's screen, however iOS 7 looks mind-blowing on my iPhone 5 retina screen.

5. Sensamic macrumors 68030

No. It won't.

That's why Apple is thinking of putting the A7 on the iPad Mini 2.

6. Sister Owl macrumors member

It is?

7. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

8. stretch80 macrumors regular

stretch80

I believe so. Especially if they go with a retina display. I had the iPad 1,2, and 3 but prefer the iPad mini size much more.

9. Mylo130 macrumors member

Mylo130

I think anticipated usage might be the biggest factor in your decision. If you are an iPad gamer, then best to wait, but if you're doing lighter tasks then you'd most likely be OK going for a cheaper one.

The non-retina screen is noticeable, but I don't think it should be a show stopper for someone looking for a scaled down iPad experience. The iOS 7 fonts are definitely not built with non-retina displays in mind, but I find that selecting Bold Text in the Accessibility settings makes it look a lot better. Just my $.02.