Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The latest version of the Honeywell Lyric (smart thermostat) software now supports HomeKit.

What's New in Version 2.1.0 (link to iTunes)
• Redesigned dashboard
• Updated thermostat controls
• Simplified settings menu
• Support for larger screens, including the iPhone 6 and 6+
• Support for the HomeKit-enabled Lyric Round Thermostat
• Bug fixes

Finally! The Lyric hit the market just as I was doing a furnace/heat pump upgrade, so I got it immediately on release (actually went two days with *NO* thermostat for the new system waiting for it to arrive!) I've been waiting for the long-promised HomeKit compatibility for a year and a half now...

It added Apple Watch support a few versions ago - although annoying to me is no Pebble support (their "slightly less smart" thermostats do support Pebble, but only for Honeywell accounts based in the EU!)

I've got it listed in my HomeKit apps, but or the life of me, I can't figure out how to actually USE HomeKit with it. Asking Siri to change my temperature doesn't work.

Edit: Okay, I discovered that only brand-new Lyric thermostats that have the HomeKit logo on the box are compatible with HomeKit - older ones (including shipped as recently as a month ago, according to some online sources,) do not support HomeKit. :-(

Edit 2: I posted on Honeywell's forums complaining about the incompatibility with older models. They told me to email them. I did. They're going to send me a new Lyric with HomeKit support. They're telling EVERYONE who posts on their forum to email them, so i gather they're doing this for anyone who asks.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Update - I just got an email that the new Lyric is on its way. They gave me a tracking number, and it says they actually sent it last week, and it will be here tomorrow.

A couple details - the Lyric Round (as the new HomeKit-enabled version is officially called,) requires a "C-wire" - a wire from your thermostat to your furnace that provides more power to the thermostat than a conventional thermostat needs. I have to imagine that the older Lyric requires one, too, so if you're upgrading from old to new, it shouldn't be a problem. And "although the wall plate looks identical to your current wall plate, you will need to replace it with the new wall plate. This is because the Lyric round will not attach to the 1st generation Lyric's wall plate."

This weekend I'll do the upgrade, and report on it!

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I have two Lyrics as well... I'm generally happy with them, though they fall far short of the competition in a few areas (probably the most notable being the lack of any kind of usage stats).

But it is indeed impressive that Honeywell is making good by sending out HomeKit-compatible units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.