Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Honeywell today announced that its Lyric Controller home security system is now compatible with Apple's HomeKit platform.

honeywell-lyric-controller-security-system-800x628.jpg

HomeKit support can be enabled with a free software update available to both current and future Lyric Controller customers, allowing the home security system to be controlled with Apple's Home app or Siri on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.

By using Siri, homeowners can control the security system's personalized presets and automate scenes for energy saving and security.

Honeywell's Lyric Controller has a seven-inch touchscreen and a built-in camera. If a Lyric sensor or motion detector detects an unusual situation, the system will provide visual and audible alerts and send notifications to an iPhone or iPad.

The home security system can be purchased on Amazon for $288 in the United States and is available at select other resellers around the world.

Article Link: Honeywell's Home Security System Now Compatible With HomeKit

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Another display, another monthly fee, for a vaguely-defined service "supported" under HomeKit. This one includes both wifi and Z-wave protocols, a combination that will have most people pulling their hair out in short order when they try to administer the system.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
I agree, H.E. Pennypacker...please explain.
Honeywell has thousands of products and are in multiple industries from health and safety, consumer electronics, aero space, EMS technologies etc. I don’t doubt they do well in many areas, I for one would not buy a Honeywell Product. When you release thousands of different products every year how well do you think those products will be? They don’t concentrate on a particular market, area or product offering. You can’t be everything to everyone. I work directly with Honeywell on the health and safety side and I can tell you their CS is some of the worst in the industry. Maybe the consumer division is better but I would rather spend my money on a company who specializes In one area.

Reactions: Surfer13134

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Honeywell has thousands of products and are in multiple industries from health and safety, consumer electronics, aero space, EMS technologies etc. I don’t doubt they do well in many areas, I for one would not buy a Honeywell Product. When you release thousands of different products every year how well do you think those products will be? They don’t concentrate on a particular market, area or product offering. You can’t be everything to everyone. I work directly with Honeywell on the health and safety side and I can tell you their CS is some of the worst in the industry. Maybe the consumer division is better but I would rather spend my money on a company who specializes In one area.

I had first hand experience with their B2B security solutions about a decade ago, it was very good. As long as they have capable teams working in each area then them being in multiple fields shouldn't alone be a reason not to use them, they're just a conglomerate.

travisjaymoore

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
FINALLY.
I bought it back in June because it was the ONLY security system promising future HomeKit support. I knew it was a gamble but hopefully the user experience is good and will pay off.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Realistically there are a lot of companies out there that have their hands in all kinds of different things, like GE, or Samsung, or Mitsubishi, or etc. And while there are certainly examples of this or that not being good, is it really to a meaningfully larger degree compared to things from various other companies that are somewhat more focused (given that there are good ones like that out there, and some not so good ones as well even when it comes to those more focused ones).

Steve247

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
in the 'burbs of Toronto
I've been looking at this system, waiting for home kit support, for a couple of months now. Yes you can have it professionally installed and monitored, but it also makes for a great DIY system. It doesn't necessarily require external monitoring and the associated fees if you don't want them. I plan to go there DIY route.

Hopefully I'll email again in a couple of months with a happy update.

Last edited:

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hitachi does that too, and their products are great in all areas I've tried.

BinhM3

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2017
FINALLY.
I bought it back in June because it was the ONLY security system promising future HomeKit support. I knew it was a gamble but hopefully the user experience is good and will pay off.

Please let us know how the user experience is when you get the update. I am also planing on switching from LIVEwatch to honeywell. What kind of plan do you have? By having the the lowest basic plan we should be able to control all applehomekit accessories right? Hopefully the service plan doesn't dictate how we use our DIY system. All I want is the basic 24/7 call station and be able to control my apple homekit ecosystem remotely.

xwinger

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
Your post makes it sound like companies like Honeywell have every employee working in every division, which is why they just can’t seem to focus and make 1 good product! I’m pretty sure that’s not how companies work. I would think they have different divisions that focus solely on their own products!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.