Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warfel005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Alright I've been looking around and i cant seem to find an answer to this any help will be appreciated.

I'm a college student and i get free cable in my dorm room. i already have a gateway 22 inch lcd monitor that has several inputs (DVI, VGA, Component RGB, and HDMI) Currently my ps3 takes up the HDMI slot and my mac uses the DVI input. now my problem id like to hook the cable up to this as well because it beets going out and buying another lcd tv that will just take up space and not get used as much. i already checks with the college and there isn't any kind of cable box i can get through them that will do this for me.

does anyone know how i can do this?

Thanks Guys!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
As your screen has component, you can simply get a DVR or an HD tuner to connect to the screen. A TiVo HD or TiVo HDXL would do this, as would similar devices by Echostar. An alternative would be to get a TV Tuner for the Mac and watch TV through it.

So the basic answer is that you need a tuner to select the channels and then output it over Component to the screen or input it to the computer to output to the screen.

TEG

Warfel005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
As your screen has component, you can simply get a DVR or an HD tuner to connect to the screen. A TiVo HD or TiVo HDXL would do this, as would similar devices by Echostar. An alternative would be to get a TV Tuner for the Mac and watch TV through it.

So the basic answer is that you need a tuner to select the channels and then output it over Component to the screen or input it to the computer to output to the screen.

TEG

so something like a slingbox pro-hd would work... i would like the tivo but i cant afford the subscription fee. do you know of any that dont have a subscription fee?

btw thanks for the reply

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Echostar just launched a DVR without a fee... but I do believe a slingbox would work. Although the USB TV Tuner for the Mac would be the cheapest solution (and it would have limited DVR capabilities).

You may also be able to use a stand-alone DVD recorder or VCR/DVD Recorder with Tuner, but I'm unsure of how many of them will allow the tuner to output over Component.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.