Hook up a dvd player or ps3 to 24" display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ozreth, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Is it possible to hook up a ps3 or dvd player to a 24" cinema display or are they strictly for macbooks?

2. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Nevermind, did some research and found out that its not possible. Are there any work arounds to this or is it just not going to happen?

Found one in town still under the year warranty for $450 but I'm not sure its worth it. I don't have a TV and wanted to use this for ps3, movies, and computer.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

there are adapters for both dvi and HDMI to mini-display port that will let you plug the new cinema displays into things other than a macbook

HDMI - http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-mini-displayport.html
    DVI - http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html

You'd probably be better off getting a small tv, I have a 22 LG, with all the inputs and a HD tuner (depending on your location, you can get HD over the air, or at the very least the locals will be available by just plugging the cable into the TV.

By the time you add the adapters i mentioned ($130-$150) it's just not that great of a deal.

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hmm, so there are ways to do it, but a bit price.

You are right a TV would probably be a better idea but I LOVE the 24" cinema display and to get one for $450 still under the year warranty I feel like its too good of a deal to pass up.

Has anybody else done this before? If I hook a ps3 up with the relolutions etc match? Will it look just as good as it would if it were a tv?

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Get a new Dell U2410 for $500

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    You can do less than $450 on a new w/ full warranty if you're comfortable going through ebay and dealing w/ cashback and (if it works, mine hasn't showed up yet..) MrRebates.com