hook up xbox 360 to macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yehgermeister, Aug 26, 2008.

1. yehgermeister macrumors newbie

i'll be going off to college soon, and one of my most prized possessions i won't be able to leave behind is my xbox 360. thing is, my dorm will probably be too small for an hdtv, and i really don't want to bring a tv (more stuff to carry).

i was wondering if it is at all possible to use my xbox 360 and play it on my macbook pro's monitor.

any ideas?

2. 103734 Guest

as far as I know there is no input on any mac laptops, so I would say no you can't.

If I where you I would buy a cheap 17" or 19" wide screen LCD computer monitor and a xbox 360 VGA cable so that way you can have a external screen for your mac and use it for your xbox

3. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

I don't believe he will have audio then. In that case, get a monitor that has an audio out plug so you can plug in your external speakers to the monitor. If not, you can always opt for a LCD TV, and it can be used as a monitor and a TV for your Xbox.

4. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

5. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Don't use a tv for your monitor; the resolutions are too low and your eyes hurt. Instead, use a monitor for your tv. use the component cables rather than hdmi so that you can get rca audio outs. I use a dell 2407 for my xbox 360 and mbp, with internet sharing from my mbp to the 360 for live.

6. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Hey, will this be useless when it becomes mandatory that all analog signals need to be converted to digital by Feb. 2009? I ask because by that time, if you are still using analog cables you will not receive a signal and can only get one with a digital box provided by our cable companies.

7. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

When you hook it up to your monitor, where is the audio? Unless it has built in speakers in the monitor I suspect you need to hook it up to the monitor?

8. macwall macrumors 6502

when i was living in the barracks my buddy bought a setup box that inputs in xbox to his laptop screen and outputs sound to these puny speakers. but he loved it, we didn't have to pay for a tv.

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

maybe a link or even the name of the box to help the OP?

10. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

11. 103734 Guest

the vga cable for the 360 has the red and white audio cables, and you can get a composite to aux adapter at any electronics store for less than 5 bucks, then you can just plug it into your external speakers.

12. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

just got to college, I bought a 27.5 inch Viewsonic monitor for my Xbox 360 and my future Monty MBP. HDMI, component, composite, s-video, and it works wonderfully. got 1080p Xbox gaming for 300 dollars less than a regular TV!