Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Is there something I'm missing? I just got my first ipod (the 30gb one for $250.00), hooked it into my 1990's stereo (through the phono as I noticed no aux area), and I immediately noticed a flat, muffled sound as well as a background noise of some sort. Is there a secret to making the sound better? I played with the EQ but wasn't impressed. It seemed some of the EQ options were noticably better but many weren't at all. ??

Thanks!

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Is there something I'm missing? I just got my first ipod (the 30gb one for $250.00), hooked it into my 1990's stereo (through the phono as I noticed no aux area), and I immediately noticed a flat, muffled sound as well as a background noise of some sort. Is there a secret to making the sound better? I played with the EQ but wasn't impressed. It seemed some of the EQ options were noticably better but many weren't at all. ??

Thanks!

Phono ins aren't like Line ins. It runs the signal through a preamp. This is only meant for turntables.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
And plug it into a proper Line in.

You could also try a cassette adapter, but be careful not to buy one of the many poorly made ones. I think iLounge has a cassette adapter brand comparison.

I often run my iPod Mini through the Phono In on my Mom's circa-1979 Panasonic receiver (the line-in is broken) which is hooked up to some newer Sony bookshelf speakers. It doesn't have muffled sound or background noise, but then again I'm not too picky about the sound because this is actually our bathroom sound system and I didn't have to pay for any of it. Surprisingly acceptable sound from a receiver that is older than I am.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Line out isn't an issue, it should sound exactly the same through the headphone jack or a dock.

You need to go into line in or aux on a receiver, a phono input isn't the same and won't sound right.

PhatMerg

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2007
I have the same problem on my home stereo

I plug my iPod dock into the CD line in my receiver and the sound quality is horrible. It is dull, muffled and can not compare to a CD. Any other suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.