Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I apologize if this has been discussed already.

So, I had a great idea the other day when looking at the Leopard version of Front Row. I was thinking "wow, I could save $300 on an AppleTV if I just use my laptop!" So I was wondering if there is some way to hook up a MacBook Pro to a TV for video output. My TV uses the plug with the red, yellow, and white prongs.

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
Well, that is the adapter and it where the computer hardware stops. From there I think you'd look more in a television section for a connecting cable. I'm not fluent in the TV world so someone else may be able to tell you what cable to buy.

Plus, if you call a BestBuy I'm positive they could assist you with cable selection.

Good luck!

candan9019

macrumors regular
That adapter has composite and s-video. The video is yellow, red and white are audio so this adapter is for the yellow or video wire. You can get an adapter to connect the audio jack on your MBP to the red and white audio connectors on your tv.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
That adapter has composite and s-video. The video is yellow, red and white are audio so this adapter is for the yellow or video wire. You can get an adapter to connect the audio jack on your MBP to the red and white audio connectors on your tv.

So something like this for the video?

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
You could connect the computer to that tv. If $300 is something you could spare, I would highly suggest just getting the Apple TV. It does much more than FrontRow and is much more convenient that connecting the computer to the tv.

I got the cables to connect my PB to my LCD TV and hooked it up once. I connected it when I got the cables and then never again. I use my Apple TV all the time though.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Does DVI carry the audio signal too? :confused:

If not just get one of these

Nope. I'm actually going to hook the audio up to my stereo so I can get the full stereo sound (my TV is mono :( ).

Thanks for the link, but I think I have one...somewhere. :D

IntenseKipp

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
Tempe, AZ

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005

Very short, just as shown in the picture (10 cms or so). Plus, it's a female video connector, so you need a male-male extension (you can get it cheap almost anywhere... around here it's 2 o 3 bucks).

But, if you have a flat panel TV with HDMI, I suggest getting a DVI-HDMI cable instead... you'll get a much nicer picture for a similar price (and if your TV happens to have a DVI connector, then it's a no brainer... just use it).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Using the A/V input on your TV will give you great picture quality if you are using a CRT, since CRT's display anything in adequate detail at any resolution.

As mentioned, if you have a flat panel TV and it has a VGA/DVI input (most older models did) or if you have one that has an HDMI connection (within the past year it became a standard) then you'd get the best quality doing it that way.

keenkreations

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
Also yuo could use the S-Video out. From what I remember, from lowest to best quality: Composite video -> S-Video -> DVI/HDMI. HDMI is like DVI, but also carries audio signals.

Keep in mind also that some older televisions support significantly lower resolutions than computer screens (640x480 or 800x600), especially with Composite and S-Video input. I don't think that is a problem anymore with Hi-Def screens (using DVI or HDMI).

Again, my .02 cents

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Apple TV Is NOt For Him

You could connect the computer to that tv. If $300 is something you could spare, I would highly suggest just getting the Apple TV. It does much more than FrontRow and is much more convenient that connecting the computer to the tv.

I got the cables to connect my PB to my LCD TV and hooked it up once. I connected it when I got the cables and then never again. I use my Apple TV all the time though.
He's got an old analog TV - nothing :apple:TV hooks to at all. He would need to spend $500+ for a 720P HDTV before he's ready to use his DVI to HDMI from his MBP like the :apple:TV box does and only does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.