Hooking a White/Black Macbook to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrweems, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mrweems macrumors member

I'm researching this. Did a few searches. Nothing really shows exactly whats needed. As in for the non technological minds that is.

From my assumption, correct me if i'm wrong.

but.

Mini DVI -> HDMI
    The male is the mini dvi correct?
    [​IMG]

Then hook a HDMI -> DVI cable.
    The smaller being what hooks into the first cable. And the bigger male jack hooks into the tv?
    [​IMG]

And then hook audio up into the right audio in for the HDMI support channel on the tv?
    [​IMG]

Do i have this thought out correctly or am i missing something? Oh and this is a setup only for HDMI, not a DVI input on a TV?

2. snessiram macrumors member

If I understand correctly:
    - You found a mini-dvi to hdmi converter
    - You have a free hdmi port on your tv

If that's the case, I'm wondering why you're looking at a cable converting between hdmi and dvi? Just use a dvi-to-dvi cable...

[​IMG]

Most people here buy the mini-dvi to dvi converter from Apple and then use a dvi-to-hdmi cable to connect to the tv. By using a mini-dvi to hdmi converter you skip a step...

As for the audio, you're correct, you should connect it with the audio input of your tv (if available) or an external music installation.

3. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

wouldn't the first one substitue the one from apple?

and so i have a mini dvi -> hdmi. So find a cable thats hdmi female to male that goes into the female on the tv?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With the adapter you showed, you just need a regular HDMI cable to go from the adapter you showed to your TV. HDMI cables are male on both ends. You'll also need the audio cable for sound.

5. Spares macrumors member

depending on the age of your TV, you may not have an HDMI input on it. Anything made in the past... i dunno id say 2-3 years(safely) most likely has it. If it does you might as well just go Mini DVI->HDMI->TV, for audio, I'm not educated in the last about this but the cord you have there is analog sound, I'm 50% haha, sure that there is a digital audio adapter that might suit better...... depending if you care a whole lot about sound

6. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

i'm not 100% sure as to whats behind my tv for inputs.

Its a sony 2?'' LCD HDTV. Im not sure how old it is.

So on the first one. is mini dvi. and then hdmi. the hdmi cable should plug into that and into the back of my tv.

so pending on what is behind it i get the Mini dvi -> hdmi and then hdmi to what ever connector is behind the tv.

as far as audio goes. Yes thats analog, but i mean really how much difference is it going to be on a 700mb audio file. yes i'm talking about avi, mpeg, and such from lets say downloads.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If that TV is newer than 4 years old, it'll more than likely have at least one HDMI port, but check to make sure. And yes, what you've just stated will work just fine for video/audio connections.

8. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

just got in.

Looks like i need a mini DVI -> HDMI
    and hten and HDMI cable to connect to the tv.

9. fedup flyer macrumors regular

Most TVs with HDMI will not accept audio from another source. Meaning you cannot use HDMI video input with a audio input that is located next to the PC-VGA port. I find that using the VGA port will give just as high of a res as HDMI and no audio problems.

Unless of course you are planning to hook up your audio to a surround system or something.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

My Samsung has HDMI 1 labeled as "HDMI 1/PC" which has a minijack next to the HDMI port for audio-in.

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Thats pretty sweet!
    I'm not sure if my TV has that. Its a Vizio. (TV is in IL and I'm in AZ right now)
    My plan was to just hook the audio through my stereo receiver.

12. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I also have a Samsung 1080p 42' and it only has audio through the PC-VGA port. :mad:

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Actually I was partially mistaken. They're white/red RCA jack pair next to HDMI 1 labeled "DVI in (HDMI 1)". The intent was for people to go from DVI-->HDMI, and then send the audio separately I presume.

For reference, it's a model year 2007 set, LN-T4065F

14. imac2007 macrumors member

just wondering

Okay you take mini DVI to HDMI connector from apple or monoprice.com then take a HDMI cable hook it to the adapter then to my Hitachi TV HDMI port this will give me video correct? But will this give audio or do I have to run a different cable I am trying to hook up my white macbook to a 42" Hitachi plasma
    I just want to make sure I order all the cables needed at one time so will there be a special audio cable that will fit in audio jack on macbook that will fit into rca jack on back off my Hitachi tv:confused:

15. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If you look in the Original Post, you'll see just that minijack-->RCA cable. Make sure you can do RCA audio in conjunction with an HDMI cable however, like I mentioned about my Samsung.

16. mrweems thread starter macrumors member

There is an HDMI input with a red/white audio jack underneath it. I'll snap a pic real quick.