Hooking an IMac into an existing home network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EdT, Aug 26, 2007.

1. EdT macrumors 6502

EdT

Hopefully, my new iMac will arrive Tuesday. But I have a question that I had not thought of before, about networking. My current home network has an encrypted D-Link router. I know how to add Windows computers to this network, but I have no Mac experience at all. The only reason I have any concerns about hooking up to this network is the encryption. I can't imagine the Windows auto-install feature for adding new computers onto the router works for non-windows computers, but maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Anyone have any advice or experience?

Thanks in advance.....

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

Assuming you purchased your iMac with Airport (or is that standard now?), you'll be prompted to set it up. Otherwise go to system preferences -> airport -> setup (or something of the like)

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

If you're smart enough to do it on a Windows PC, you can do it on a Mac.

4. EdT thread starter macrumors 6502

EdT

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't forget -- Google for tips if you have trouble: "DLink {model number} Mac"

Certain routers do not support WPA on Macs through Airport cards, they have to use WEP or nothing.

There are some gotchas that aren't covered in the manuals.

6. EdT thread starter macrumors 6502

EdT

Once again, thanks everybody. Computer arrived a day early, had no problems with initial powerup or the wireless mouse. Was still worried I would have problems connecting to the Internet. I had no problems hooking up what-so-ever. Plugged the ethernet cable from the DLink in and it worked. Didn't have to do anything else.

Now I just have to get use to a completely different command set. But after hearing of the 'Windows Genuine Advantage' problem from this weekend, I'll not be sorry to leave MS behind.