Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
so, if i use my thunderbolt cable to hook up my late 09 imac. will it be able to use the usb ports on my imac?

Also. i got an fw 400 audio interface on my imac. (800 to 400 cable) could music i play on my mbp be redirected through the 800 port of the imac to my audio interface? as it would be a hassle changing out the 800 cable everytime from mbp to imac...

any other solutions for this?

thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No. For a couple of reasons at least:

1) A late 09 anything does not understand Thunderbolt

2) Unless specifically advertised just having a Thunderbolt port does not imply that the device has the controller circuitry to act as a "hub" for all the other ports in it: if you hook together two Thunderbolt capable MBPs they don't see each others ports for example.

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
No. For a couple of reasons at least:

1) A late 09 anything does not understand Thunderbolt

2) Unless specifically advertised just having a Thunderbolt port does not imply that the device has the controller circuitry to act as a "hub" for all the other ports in it: if you hook together two Thunderbolt capable MBPs they don't see each others ports for example.

but if i hook up an ACD with minidisplayport it does recognise the USB ports... right? so does it also recognise USB ports on my imac? when i use it as a screen?

im not going all on thunderbolt i was just implying that that would be what i use. i know the imac only has minidisplay.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
but if i hook up an ACD with minidisplayport it does recognise the USB ports... right? so does it also recognise USB ports on my imac? when i use it as a screen?

im not going all on thunderbolt i was just implying that that would be what i use. i know the imac only has minidisplay.

If you're using the 27" ACD, then you're plugging in a the MiniDisplay Port, and a separate USB cable; the USB cable where it recognizes devices and sends it back to your Mac via the USB.

But, that's assuming you're using the latest ACD (which does not have ThunderBolt, but a MiniDisplay Port).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.