hooking mac upto a TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spacka, Jul 24, 2008.

1. spacka macrumors member

ive got a 20" mac, and although the screen is lovely, its still not as big as my 37" HDTV which sits right next to it.

with my PC i was able to hook up the monitor's lead to the back of my TV, and i was just wondering if theres a similar thing you can do with macs?

cheers.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Looks like you may need adapters, according to http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter***

***Adapters are sold separately.

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Assuming its a relatively new iMac you need an Apple mini dvi to dvi connector and then a DVI to HDMI cable. I got one off ebay. This is for video only. You can even span the desktop of the iMac onto the HDTV! Audio will still come out of the iMac so you will need to check the audio inputs on your TV and get the appropriate cable.

4. spacka thread starter macrumors member

5. spacka thread starter macrumors member

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Add the fact that you are in the UK to your profile. It helps other people to answer your questions.

You will get the best quality image using the DVI-HDMI cable. Its recommended. That one seems to be very expensive, even for the UK. You may want to try and shop around.

7. spacka thread starter macrumors member

is there anything specific i should be looking for when shopping around for these cables?

i mean arent all HDMI to DVI cables going to work with my mac or do they have to specifically be designed for macs?

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Any cable will work, but you get what you pay for it.. :eek:

edit: Use Apple mini-dvi to dvi cable since Apple owns the patent on it then use any cable there after...

9. spacka thread starter macrumors member

and the first cable obviously has to be an apple one?

come to think of it, im sure i got one of those with my old ibook g4. would that work?

10. jeremyrader macrumors member

mini-DVI is Apple only. That's what you need for the iMac end. What you need for the TV end is up to you. I don't know what the cable the iBook came with - I'm guessing VGA. So if your TV has in input for it (some do) then give it a shot. Otherwise, the Wiki may be of some help.

11. spacka thread starter macrumors member

yeah ive just tried plugging that ibook cable into the slot on my imac but it doesnt fit at all, so im guessing its just an old version. probably vga like you said.

gonna try and get these cables asap, i'll let you know how i do.

just out of curiosity, the apple only one; will this only be available from apple store or will other retailers likely supply them?

12. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

This is a tricky one without knoing the input ports in to your TV.

The the use of the HDMI interface may provide the best picture.

However I'm not sure if the "mini dvi to dvi connector and then a DVI to HDMI cable" will retain the quality.

There is also a mini DVI to component cable (YPbPr). YPbPr does provide (by definition) a High Definition analogue singal that both supports 4:3 and 16:9 display formats. This is the second best after HDMI for picture quality.

Using s-video or RGB which are (composite) video are of lower quality (as these connection type is not high definition standards as the carrier frequency of the colour signal modulation are not be adjusted.)

For the audio, I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I presume your television has digitial audio in, which your audio out on your mac can provide (with yet another cable).

13. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I can confirm that the DVI to HDMI cable works really well. As you are in the UK pop into Currys, PCWorld or try online. Just request a 'DVI-D to HDMI GOLD CABLE'.