Hooking macbook pro to tv

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Traeger2591, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Traeger2591 macrumors member

I just got a mdp to hdmi adapter and have been trying to use it to hook my new macbook to my tv. I hooked the cables all in properly and plugged the hdmi cable to my tv and nothing shows up on the tv. the mac screen flashes blue or w/e like it detected something but it wont detect the tv as a display. I tried different cables and different inputs.

So I went to my brothers tv and hooked it up and it worked first try. I'm not sure what the deal is because my tv is not old. Its a sony kdl-v4100 to be exact. Only about 6 months old or so. I'm a little frustrated though because I'm not sure whats going on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I also remember hooking my brothers white macbook up to my tv through hdmi not too long ago so idk why this wouldn't be working. The whitebook did use a mini dvi to hdmi rather than mini display port to hdmi.

It also isn't working when I try to hook it up to my hp monitor with a hdmi to dvi cable. The screen flashes like its connecting to a monitor but just keeps flashing as if I would be disconnecting and reconnecting it fast. Once again, it works fine on my brothers samsung tv that is older than either monitor I am trying to use.

2. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Does the HDMI input slot correspond to a "Video 3,5,7, etc..."? Are you going through all the right channels on your TV?

3. Traeger2591 thread starter macrumors member

Not quite sure what you mean by "video 3,5,7 etc" but nothing shows up on the computer. It doesn't recognize the tv at all yet it flashes as if it's connected to something. And yes I'm using all the correct inputs and stuff. I'm really just confused right now.

4. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I meant like if you want to play an Xbox 360, there's a specific channel for it. Not the cable channels, but different TV Channels, basically the HDMI 1 input on the back of your TV would correspond to the "HDMI 1" channel on your TV. It might be in your TV manual, if not, you can try DVI or VGA if you have it.

5. Traeger2591 thread starter macrumors member

yeah I have tried hooking it to all four of my hdmi inputs and change to the correct "channel" as you are saying, each time. Still no luck. This is getting frustrating. Thanks for the quick responses though.

6. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

You have mentioned "channels" but have you scrolled through the correct inputs? Leave it on each input for atleast 5 seconds each because it will take a second to load the picture onto the screen.

7. Traeger2591 thread starter macrumors member

yes I have used the correct inputs. I referred to them as channels in my last post because that is what they other poster thought they were called. I'm not that stupid to not use the right input lol. I wish I could figure this out though.