Hooking Macbook Pro up to LCD HDTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by weatherman316, Jul 7, 2008.

1. weatherman316 macrumors member

Hi, I'm about to purchase a Macbook Pro for college and rather than having to take along multiple monitors I'm just going to bring my 28" LCD HDTV to use as a TV and monitor for my Xbox 360 and computer. It only has one HDMI port and one VGA port, so I'd prefer to just use a VGA cable as my Xbox currently uses the HDMI port (unless the quality from the MBP to the TV would be that much better with HDMI).

What cables would I need to hook up my MBP to the TV (both audio and video)? Also, please be specific (eg. VGA male to female) as I'll be getting them from a site like monoprice which has tons of configurations. Thank you.

Would this HDMI-DVI Cable work for HDMI?

Would this VGA Cable work for VGA? (hooked up to the DVI-VGA adapter that comes with the MBP)

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

I use that same DVI-HDMI cable on 2 of my mac mini's. Should work fine for you also. Just make sure you have separate cable for sound if you want the sound to come out of the TV

3. weatherman316 thread starter macrumors member

Right, what would that cable for sound be? (Link if possible?)

4. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

i would use vga for the mac so u could have both plugged in unless you want to switch the hdmi from the mac to the xbox ever time you want to use a different device

as for sound you need a 3.5mm to RCA cable

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

6. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

well when you say that..does remind me the horrible quality that is brought with vga... forget vga.. just switch between the hdmi cables.. would much rather do that than loose the quality

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Come now. Just switch between cables. I found mine on Amazon for $5.

8. weatherman316 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys. So should that DVI-HDMI cable work or should I get a DVI-HDMI adapter and then a regular HDMI cable/use the one for my Xbox since I guess I'll be swapping them depending on which one I want to use?