Hooking MacBook Pro up to my TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XxCH3AT3RxX, Apr 1, 2010.

1. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

I bought a Mini DisplayPort to DVI connector and connected that up to my TV and the picture is fine. However, when I connect the 3.5mm male to male cable from the MBP to the speakers which are plugged into the TV it does not work. I believe the speakers might be broke. The TV unfortunately does not have a headphone jack on it (for being a newer 50"ish Hitachi I find this odd).

I was just wondering if using a 3.5mm male to RCA connecter would work? The cable is here.

The picture shows up great on the TV, but I want the sound that is being played from the MacBook to be playing out of the TV speakers.

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

It all depends on the TV you have. There is no way to know for sure without knowing the different ports. The DVI port usually has a specific audio in connection associated with it.

Your macbook pro will play the audio out with no problem from the headphone port to RCA in on your TV assuming it has one.
    Best bet is to read the tv manual or at least post the model number of the tv on here.

3. I3eXa macrumors 6502

was confused on first reading of this so if you OP are as well what he means is that if the TV has the DVI as input 4, then make sure you are plugging your RCA audio cables into input 4 as well and not another one. And yes, that cable is exactly what you need to make it work. Hope you figure it out as I've been hooking up my MB the same way for a long while.