Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
Going to be building a sick PC theater setup, but for right now want to just hook my 13" Macbook Pro up to my tv to watch movies from the HD. From what I understand on my 13" (late 09/early 10' I believe) I only need these from what I found online from people saying no need to spend the ridiculous money apple charges for their "special" cables. I think the mid 10's or 11's can use hdmi for sound and video combined, but on mine you need two separate connections for each, correct?

mini to hdmi connector:
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274199773&sr=8-1

and a mini/RCA cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z5CP/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Going to be building a sick PC theater setup, but for right now want to just hook my 13" Macbook Pro up to my tv to watch movies from the HD. From what I understand on my 13" (late 09/early 10' I believe) I only need these from what I found online from people saying no need to spend the ridiculous money apple charges for their "special" cables. I think the mid 10's or 11's can use hdmi for sound and video combined, but on mine you need two separate connections for each, correct?

mini to hdmi connector:
http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274199773&sr=8-1

and a mini/RCA cable:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z5CP/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Correct

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Cool thanks, just wanted to make sure before I ordered.

No probs.. I have to use two cables myself.. The audio cable, however, depends on your tv/amp outputs.. Maybe a aux/aux is better, but check it out.. I use a high grade audio cable (phono) 'cause I'm an audiophile..

Haven't seen the dvi-cable you've linked to though, but if it's a pendant to Apples then it's fine..

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
You might want to think about just getting an Apple TV. It would run you about $100 but the solution is so much more elegant. Plus, its wireless and adds in all sorts of features you wouldn't be able to get other wise.

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
You might want to think about just getting an Apple TV. It would run you about $100 but the solution is so much more elegant. Plus, its wireless and adds in all sorts of features you wouldn't be able to get other wise.

This was going to be my suggestoon also. To elaborate on what DustinT said, you can jailbreak the ATV and install plugins like XBMC which has its own add-ons like icefilms and hulu. You'll also have the ability to Airplay so no wires needed and there are other plugins available that will let you stream any type of media format, not just certain ones. Its definitely a worth while option IMO.

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
I think the mid 10's or 11's can use hdmi for sound and video combined, but on mine you need two separate connections for each, correct?

Wow, I didn't know that. I have a 2011 and I bought one of those inexpensive HDMI adapters for my computer and it transferred picture and sound. I didn't realize the older models didn't have this.

This was going to be my suggestoon also. To elaborate on what DustinT said, you can jailbreak the ATV and install plugins like XBMC which has its own add-ons like icefilms and hulu. You'll also have the ability to Airplay so no wires needed and there are other plugins available that will let you stream any type of media format, not just certain ones. Its definitely a worth while option IMO.

Might not be entirely out of the question. The OP did see he plans on building a serious home theatre setup. I have been toying around with the idea of getting an ATV myself but I would like to see an update on it that will bring more functionality. As it stands I have an Xbox 360, PS3 and NAS. I use my 360/PS3 to stream hulu I have some movies saved on my NAS, MBP, and the actual PS3/360 HDD. For movies on my MBP I just use Vuze and it'll "airplay" to either the 360 or PS3 the only bummer is that neither system can play MP4 files and I don't know how, if it's possible, to access my iTunes library through either game system which is part of the reason i'm considering an ATV.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
Yeh the newer laptops can do sound/video with the one HDMI connection.

I'm not sure about the Apple TV, just moved and left my HT setup there as want to build a nice one as this living room is more open. My friend has a sick setup with his computer and four 1TB drives that has thousands of HD movies, tv shows, you name it. Streams though his PS3 and their all organized into categories like action, comedy, horror, pretty slick setup.. So pry going to do that, or since I'm not a big gamer, some of the new receivers can do wifi to stream right from your pc/network. But for some reason I'm having a hard time finding a good receiver below 1k that does it (plenty of them even above 5k do but not dropping that coin on a receiver lol). What's weird is some of the cheap HTIB setups that are like 300-600 and 5.1 will connect to your network to stream from your computer, but the receivers and speakers themselves are mehhhhh.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2010
South FL
btw I know there's a bunch of remote apps, any ideas which is best overall? I know there's the apple remote as well, that should control the macbook right? So any scrolling or searching movies etc will show on the screen?

I just don't want to get up and down and manually setup on the MBP when I can chill on the couch and control the app's on the MPB :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.