Hooking Mavericks Mini straight to cable modem

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JohnnyComeLatly, Aug 19, 2014.

1. JohnnyComeLatly macrumors member

If this were a PC I would never do this, but how secure is a Mini with reasonable security controls turned on? I have cable modem installation scheduled today, but don't get my new wifi router until Friday. So, I'm debating hooking a Mini straight to the cable modem for a few days.

If reasonably secure, what are suggestions to harden it to outside attacks, for example, turn firewall on, turn off filesharing/remote access/etc.

Any links would be appreciated as I'm sure someone, somewhere has already written up similar solution(s).

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I don't see any problem with that. I take my MacBook Air to work in coffee shops and libraries that offer internet, and hook it up without any extra protection.

I assume you keep your Mac updated to the latest OS version including updates.

Biggest attack vectors are Flash and Java. Install the Safari extension "click to play" flash blocker, keep Flash updated, and perhaps avoid installing java in the first place. It's probably turned off by Safari anyway.

Additionally you can turn on the firewall and install ClamXAV, a free virus scanner from the Mac App Store. That last thing shouldn't be necessary, but it's free so I run it anyway.

3. JohnnyComeLatly thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I have the "click to play" flash blocker on, but I need to double check Java and Silverlight (Netflix I think still uses it).

Good points on the MBA/P used in coffee shops. However, most coffee shops are configured to block traffic on the LAN side between users ( I think), and not that many are sitting there doing automated port scans (like those found commonly on broadband IP blocks)

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I don't allow a Mac in my small business to be directly connected to a modem unless it's in a Standard user account.

Unless you're using file/screen sharing services, enable "Block all incoming connections".

Enable Stealth Mode.

Perform an open port scan, and decide which open ports you don't need and block them. I can't advise you here - different ISPs block different port sets - my ISP is Comcast Business Class which doesn't block any ports, but Comcast residential does block some ports.